Old Address Removal

papabois
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that a lot of people are having trouble with getting a direct answer to this question.  There doesn't seem to be one!

Can an old address be deleted; or, does one risk the chance of having purchased items being shipped to the wrong , or old address?

So, how does one remove all of their old address information?

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

bgflex
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list. I have been asking about removing old addresses for a year.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi papabois and bgflex,

Welcome! 🙂

When you remove an address from the addresses section on the PayPal website, it is removed as a shipping address with PayPal.

So how can an old address still show up later?  Typically what's happening is the old address is being stored with the merchant.  Some merchants have their shopping carts configured to forward a shipping address to PayPal.  In that situation, an old shipping address could still be used if that address was forwarded along with the payment information the merchant provides.  If a merchant does not forward a shipping address to us during checkout, our system uses the primary address on file with PayPal.

Even if an old address is sent to us, the forwarded address will be displayed to the buyer during checkout so they can verify and change this information if needed.  If an old address continues to appear, check your account on the merchant's website to ensure it has been removed from there as well.

A good example of this is eBay.  eBay maintains shipping addresses for eBay accounts.  If a shipping address is removed from PayPal but not removed from eBay, it's possible that old address could still be forwarded to PayPal during checkout.  In that situation, the address will need to be removed from eBay.  One option to help avoid this issue with eBay would be to link your PayPal shipping addresses with eBay.  Instructions here.

Sorry for the long post but I hope this was helpful to explain how this could happen. 🙂

- Frank

edit:  Oh and here's the instructions for editing this information for eBay and PayPal

To update your account information in My eBay

How do I change my street address on PayPal?

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

bgflex
Contributor
Contributor

Well, Frank. I appreciate your explanation, however, it does not answer our (at least my,) question. How can we delete these old addresses off of eBay and PayPal? If what you say were the issue, the addresses would disappear when we delete them, and come back on the next time the merchant sent their information to you. They do not disappear. Not even for one minute. You need to give us the option of eliminating the old addresses ( I have several on there, for example, which were used to send gifts directly to friends. Those addresses need not be on my list of addresses. If, by accident, an adjacent, wrong address is specified, off the item goes to the wrong person.... who may not even be at that address any more.) In this age of technical wizardry, you would have no problem creating this option for your customers. Why you don't is a mystery to me. It's like trying to reach customer service or help. Purposely obtuse and difficult because, if you make it easy for customers to contact you and ask questions, they will. Your help desk, is, I'm sure already overloaded with requests from those lucky few who actually find there way through the maze. 

Login to Me Too

bgflex
Contributor
Contributor

In fact, let's simplify.... Your first sentence..."when you remove an address from the addresses section of the Paypal website, it is removed as a shipping address with PayPal."   Fine. Why don't you show us how to remove it?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@bgflex wrote:

In fact, let's simplify.... Your first sentence..."when you remove an address from the addresses section of the Paypal website, it is removed as a shipping address with PayPal."   Fine. Why don't you show us how to remove it?

Hi bgflex,

Login to your PayPal account, click on the "Add or Edit Street Address" link from the drop-down "Profile" tab and click on the "Remove" link below the street address you wish to remove from your PayPal account. 

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

bgflex
Contributor
Contributor

You guys still don't understand the problem, I'm sorry to say. Let's try again. The only addresses that show up in the profile are legit addresses. It is the other addresses that are on eBay due to having sent things to these other addresses,addresses that we may have wanted to use only the one time, that we are trying to eliminate.

Furthermore, there are addresses we don't want to eliminate, for example, my current location, that, when we use PayPal, PayPal does not show because they are not linked directly to our PayPal bank accounts, and then, we have to give the shipper specific instructions NOT TO SEND TO THE ADDRESS ON OUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT, But to the current address we are located at, which may be a different address.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Hi bgflex,

To remove addresses from your eBay account, login to your "My eBay" account, click on the "Addresses" link from the drop-down "Account" tab, click on the "View all shipping addresses" link and click on the "Delete address" link for each address you wish to delete.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

bgflex
Contributor
Contributor

This was helpful. I was able to remove several duplicate shipping addresses on eBay. There were more I could not remove. They were sent over from PayPal. When I go into PayPal to see them, I can not. I can only see the linked addresses, not all the ship to addresses, which is where I need to be to delete the others that will no longer be used.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

In the "View all shipping addresses" section of your "My eBay" account, there is a link where you can delete your PayPal addresses from your eBay address book... the text will say...

"PayPal address - This eBay address book is linked to your PayPal account: [email address] You can delete your PayPal addresses from your eBay address book. Removing this link will make it more difficult to buy items from sellers who require shipping to a confirmed address."

Click on the "delete your PayPal addresses" link to see if that deletes the unwanted addresses.

~Sandy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.