Nickname!

GwenM
New Community Member

When I signed up for Paypal years ago, I used the name I actually use, Gwen. It's not my legal first name, but it's what everyone calls me, it's my email address, it's what I use to introduce myself - it's my name!

I don't want people to wonder what this other first name is for the person they know as 'Gwen'.

It's never been a problem with requesting or sending money, nor for downloading money into my bank account.

However, I just tried to transfer money from my bank account into my PayPal account and it asked me if Gwen _____ was my legal name. It's not.

Is there some way of adjusting your PayPal account to reflect that your 'user' name can be different from your legal name? As I said before, it will cause confusion if I begin using my legal Christian name - it'd be cumbersome and awkward to go through long details about why I loathe the name my parents gave me when I'm just trying to buy mittens on Etsy, or a used homeschool curriculum from an online friend, you know?

Thanks, 

Gwen (not that other name!)

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I understand you don't like your real name but would you open a bank account with a nickname?

Paypal is a legal account and you should have the correct info on there when you open an account.

If your account name does not match your bank account name then you may not be able to add / withdraw to that bank account. 

I am actually surprised you have not hit problems before withdrawing funds.

Your best bet is to contact customer services and see if you can change it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ruili
New Community Member

I also have totally 100% exactly same problem with u!!!!  I tried to contact custom service, but there is no one answer me. Really want to know how you solve this problem in the end? Coz there is still have some money in my account, really dun want to loose those money.... T-T

Login to Me Too

ACalicoCat
Contributor
Contributor

I've spent a lot of time looking all over this site for use of nickname for fundraising (not shopping - I need it to receive funds).  I tried the toll free contact number but I need to speak with a person!

Could someone tell me where I might find this in the Users Agreement or other available information?

Login to Me Too

Raab
Contributor
Contributor
Very simple.dear you transfer this money to someone else's account who can pay u cash or u create new PayPal account and transfer this money to new one and then transfer into your bank account
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.