I used a fake name signing up for PayPal HELP!

Nick0
Contributor
Contributor
Due to paranoia, I entered a fake name when I created my PayPal account. They never asked for verification when I signed up so I thought I would link my personal bank account to verify but wouldn't work because the name is different I assume. I am the owner of the PayPal account and can prove this. I am the owner of the item that sold last week for 439$ that I can touch. I have all nessicary info uploaded, my social security card, bank debit card, and state ID. It says here /t5/My-account-settings-Archive/Why-can-t-you-change-last-name/td-p/141635?profile.language=en That you can change the name with the correct documents. PLEASE let me know what I need to do to amend this. Thank you
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Phone PayPal customer service; they will need to fix it if they can verify who you are on the phone.

Click on the contact link the bottom of the page for options.

Login to Me Too

Nick0
Contributor
Contributor
I called them earlier and they said I was pretty much SOL and they couldn't change the name. I'm not sure if the person I talked to just didn't want to do the work or what but when I get off my job tonight I'm going to call and keep calling until I get someone to help
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I suspect that the first person to whom you spoke was correct.

Were they able to identify that you were the owner of the accout?  My guess would be that they would not be able to securely identify you as the owner of the account as they must go by the name on the account and that isn't your name.

It does take persistance sometimes, however, tor resolve problems.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think you may be SOL,why not refund the money and then open a real account. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you can, I suggest you refund immdiately, assuming you didn't ship the item.  Your account may get permanently limited because you will never be able to verify your identity.  If you did ship the item, then do not even attempt to refund. 

Login to Me Too

Nick0
Contributor
Contributor
I already shipped. So asking for a refund and to put in another account will be putting alot of trust in a complete stranger. I'm trying to avoid that solution as best I can. I don't know why I was allowed to use a fake name in the first place. I should have to verify my identity when i open the account, just like a bank. It seems like PayPal is trying to act like a bank, but really half a**ed
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal has no way of verifying your name until you submit required information and then PayPal needs to verify it with the bank account.

A person isn't alllowed to use a fake name; that's against PayPal policy, but people still do it.  Since PayPal has your SSN and other information it is unulikely you would be able to open a new account as those numbers are on record and couldn't be used again.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Instead of blaming Paypal,why do you ask yourself using a fake name?

This is not Pokemon -go,this is business.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.