How to change business acct 'owner' name

GoodwillCVA
Contributor
Contributor

I administer eBay program for a non-profit organization in Richmond, VA, but I will surely not stay in this role forever. Someday I will be promoted, fired, retired, or deceased. When one of those happens how will they be able to change the name on the account?

I do not mean the 'business name.' Goodwill has been around over 100 years and will outlast me. I am wondering what they will have to do to get my name (or anybody else's) off of the account. It would be foolish for Goodwill to start a new account when they change the person sitting in this chair.

Thanks for your time!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Andy

Hi GoodwillCVA -

This is an excellent question and I'm glad you've come here for a solution.

Business accounts are the only type we allow a full name change on, when someone else assumes responsibility of the business. As you stated, things happen and at some point someone else will need to be in control of the account. 

When that happens, you would follow the instructions that snowshoe has laid out, as far as the 'Name Change' option. Whoever is assuming the account will need to provide documents verifying they're now in charge (typically this would be a photo ID, and a document showing they are officially in charge of the business. This could be a bank signature card, business contracts, or some other type of legal document).

Once we have those we verify them and change the name on the account. It's actually pretty painless. 🙂

Hope that helps!

- Andy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From the Help FAQs:

You can change the name on your account if it's misspelled or if you've legally changed your name. If you have a business account, you can change the contact name for your business. However, it is not possible to change the name on your account to another person's name.

Here’s how you can change your name:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile.
  3. Click Change beside "Name."
  4. Select the appropriate option and click Continue.
  5. Follow the instructions to change your name.

If you’re changing your business contact name or have legally changed your name, you will need to submit documentation for our review. It normally takes 3-5 business days for a review.

Login to Me Too

GoodwillCVA
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but that puzzles me even more! If the name can never change will Goodwill need to start a new account were I to leave, retire, etc?

I'm sorry but I don't understand how to avoid ownership issues in that circumstance.

Thanks again, you have been super helpful!

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You can check this out for yourself.  If you try to change the current name, you will see the following statements:

We are unable to change the name on a PayPal account to a different person's name. To use PayPal, you can open a new PayPal account.

You can make a minor name change on your PayPal account if you registered using a nickname, a fictitious name, or made a typographical error. 

Unfortunately, it may be best to open a new account as it's a requirement to have a name associated with an account, regardless what type of organization.

As another option, you can always contact customer support direct for assistance as policies and procedures do change.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Andy

Hi GoodwillCVA -

This is an excellent question and I'm glad you've come here for a solution.

Business accounts are the only type we allow a full name change on, when someone else assumes responsibility of the business. As you stated, things happen and at some point someone else will need to be in control of the account. 

When that happens, you would follow the instructions that snowshoe has laid out, as far as the 'Name Change' option. Whoever is assuming the account will need to provide documents verifying they're now in charge (typically this would be a photo ID, and a document showing they are officially in charge of the business. This could be a bank signature card, business contracts, or some other type of legal document).

Once we have those we verify them and change the name on the account. It's actually pretty painless. 🙂

Hope that helps!

- Andy

Login to Me Too

GoodwillCVA
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_Andy, you are very helpful!

Working for a non-profit is a privilege. It is my responsibility to apply foresight to our operations and anticipate our needs, facilitating a smooth transition when the need arises.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge, I appreciate your generosity.

Sincerely,  

Kerry

Login to Me Too

verok
New Community Member

Hello;

I want to start selling stuff on e-bay and use paypal to accept payments. However, I hate the idea of every single buyer being able to find out my first and last name. This is a safety issue: there are alot of crazy people out there, and nowadays is very easy to find out someone's address if you have their full name and the city and state they live in. I feel way more comfortable operating under the safety blanket of annonimity.

Why PayPal forces user to disclose their legal full name to ANYONE they do business with, by not allow account holders to have a nickname displayed when they engage in a transaction with a stranger???? Why does my real full name have to be displayed o the other party???? This is a MAJOR privacy and security flaw.

Is there anyway around it? If not, why in the world not? Doesn't Paypal realize this is a major concern for a heap of customers???

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.