Do I have to add a bank account?

Crmcgug
Contributor
Contributor

I do not wish to add a bank account. What does this mean as far as verification is concerned? Will I still be able to perform basic payment transactions? I only want to use for occaisional shopping, I don't own business or anything like that. I do NOT want to give my bank account information out at all!!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Having an unverified account limits what you can do, even for shopping online, you will run into issues. 

All US financial institutions such as banks, credit card issues and 3rd party transaction processors such as PayPal are required by law to verify the identity of the person behind any and all Accounts into which money is collected.

Verification mitigates money laundering and terrorist financing.  PayPal takes advantage of the fact that you had to prove to the bank you are who you say you are.  Therefore, by linking and confirming your bank account, the background work has already been done and PayPal has now met the legal requirements to protect themselves.

PayPal's FAQs state: To Verify your PayPal account, just link your bank account to your PayPal account or be approved for PayPal Smart Connect or the PayPal Plus MasterCard®.

From experience, we’ve learned that in order to use PayPal without limits, it best to link and confirm a bank account (checking account) plus link and confirm a credit card (not the prepaid type) or register your SSN # or do all three.  (Note, when you link and confirm a credit card, this acts as additional proof of ID, a backup funding source and allows you to do instant transfers verses sending eChecks or in the UK eCheques.)

Login to Me Too

wolfharper
Contributor
Contributor
If all you are doing is buying things on ebay, then a credit card will suffice. My account has been like that for 10 years and I have never had any trouble buying anything. (Before that I did have a confirmed bank account, since I was selling on ebay at the time. But I removed it.)
Login to Me Too

busybees

Wolfharper,

As a buyer on eBay, you probably get eBay bucks, right? If so, don't you need a PayPal  account to spend those eBay bucks? And doesn't that Paypal account need to be fully verified (no account limitations)?

Login to Me Too

Angelica12410
New Community Member
I'm new to pay pal & all I want to do is buy stuff from eBay so why do I need to add my bank account they won't let me go to the next page if I don't! Help?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.