American Express Pre-Paid Card?

Infinite527
New Community Member
Hey! I have an American Express Pre-paid gift card. Could I use that to add to my PayPal? I've tried it and it says its wrong, any suggestions? Thanks, Grant!
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Infinite527 -

Welcome to the Community!

Welcome to the boards!

At this time, you may not be able to add some pre-paid debit or credit cards if we cannot validate the billing address associated with the card.

In terms of adding funds, at this time, you cannot use a card to add funds to the balance. However, if you can successfully register the card, you don't need to add funds first.

Just make a payment, and we'll debit the card directly.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Frusstr8ted1
New Community Member

you said "we dont RECOMMEND" that we add a prepaid debit or credit card but can we still use it? or is your RECOMMENDATION  actually a policy?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Frusstr8ted -

That's an excellent distinction to make, and an important one.  You can register prepaid or gift cards with PayPal as a card, but some simply won't work for the reasons listed above.

For example, let's say I expend all of the funds on a gift card I registered.  I shred the card, as I no longer have any use of it. It turns out the merchant is out of stock, and issues a refund.  PayPal is required to send those refunds back to the same card - and as I no longer have the card number on hand, I'm now in a position where it's going to be very difficult to get the gift card company to issue me the funds they have.  Even if I do have the card number, or manage to get them to issue a refund to me, I may have to wait 30 days or more for them to send me a new card or a cheque in the mail. Some gift card issuers will only issue the refund to the person who originally purchased the gift card.  As you can imagine, none of this is an easy process to claim your refund.

As such, we don't recommend their use within PayPal.

Thanks!

Adrian

Login to Me Too

jakedawg55
New Community Member

I have a bunch of amex prepaids from a party and i need to know how to put it on because it wont let me 😞

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

jakedawg55 -

Welcome to the Community!

If these prepaid cards are tied into your billing address, you'll be able to add and use the cards.  If they're not, they likely will not pass our verification process and you may experience an inability to add or use them.  If prepaid cards are your thing, there is one that's guaranteed to work - the PayPal Prepaid Card

Thanks,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

jaialai
Contributor
Contributor

If someone sent you money and you need to add it to your paypal account what you have to do is go to a ATM withdrawal that money from the American Express pre-paid card and then go to CVS or Wal-Greens and purchase a money pack/ebay card.  Once you put the money on the money pack green card they you will be able to add the money to your paypal card where it will show up in your paypal account as soon as you add the money.

I hope this answers your question.  That is one way to add the money to your paypal account.  Now, maybe someone else has a different way to do it, but that is the way that I know will work.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.