Unable to process payment

EM77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My customers get the following error mags

Unable to process payment. Please contact the merchant as the shipping address provided by the merchant is invalid, and the merchant has requested that your order must be shipped to that address.

When the payment processing is transferred from our site to paypals.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

victorianedge
Contributor
Contributor

hi i am having this problem now. did you ever figure out what it was and how to fix it. paypal is not being helpful there saying it isnt their fault. help if you can

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi EM77 and victorianedge,

Welcome! 🙂

Usually this error happens when a seller is using the "address_override" option in their checkout or button code.  When this variable is set to "1", it means that the address provided during your checkout is set to override any address in the customer's PayPal account.  With this setting turned on, the customer would not have the option to edit the shipping address when they are redirected to PayPal for checkout.  If the buyer entered an invalid shipping address on your website, they would probably see this error message.  Usually an address is invalid if the buyer didn't enter one of the required values (name, address line 1, city, province/state, postal code and country ) or that information is not being sent to PayPal when the buyer is redirected to us for checkout.

The best solution is to remove the "address_override" variable from your button or checkout code. Another option if you want to leave the address_override setting on, is to make sure your checkout is validating the address form to ensure all required fields are provided and have acceptable formats.

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

NYsailorman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Frank.

Your solution on address override worked great.   I should have come to the community much earlier and saved many hours and sales

Charles

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.