Scam - taking ads from Kijiji and insisting on using Paypal

Gailoldford27
Contributor
Contributor

I posted an ad in Kijiji selling Pink tickets for Toronto. I received a text with the following: "Pink Tickets in Toronto still available for sale? Email me only at *removed* to have deal. Pls dont reply text due to the nature of my job. Thanks. Felicia". I did respond and the following are emails I received back:

I appreciate your prompt response, I am buying It ASAP for my cousin
residing in Ontario as a surprise. I wont be available by myself for
inspection due to the nature of my work and present location. I will
like you to email me with some close up shots of it and will arrange
for it to be picked up by a pick up agent who will be coming for the
inspection and pick up at your place once the payment clears, I will
also be paying you through Paypal which i believe is safe and secured
for both of us and I will also be responsible for the charges. All I
need from you now is to get back to me with your Paypal email and name
or send me Paypal invoice so that I can send your payment ASAP. What
is your final asking price?

Just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed and If you need
to reach me, send me an email as i Squeeze time every four-hours to
check correspondence and respond at the same time.

Thanks

-----

Okay get back to me with your paypal account and your final asking price

-----

Okay. I would have love to talk to you on phone and explain more
better but Due to the nature of my job,making phone calls and visiting
of website are restricted but i took permission from our IT Admin to
check this advert and sent you Text regarding this and instructing you
to text so I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls
whenever I want. I am an honorable person and you will receive your
full money cash in hand before my mover comes for pick up at your
place. And if you dont have a paypal account, It's pretty easy to set
up a PayPal account at www.paypal.com . it's just a few minutes away
from signing up. it's safe and secure for both Parties. You are on a
secured transaction with paypal. As soon as you open an account, get
back to me with the name and email that you linked with your paypal
account and I will have your money wired asap. I hope to read from you
asap

Regards

I googled the phone number and it comes from Oregon - many people have received same text. I guess this is a "Seller's Beware" post - as you as a seller would be responsible (in most cases) for cost of whatever you are selling once anything is disputed!

Login to Me Too
38 REPLIES 38

Cheri0101
New Community Member

2015 and it's the same scam. I just got this today. 

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm Okay with the condition as I have
already go through it on the advert but just trying to make little
inquiry from you, I'm ready to buy it now as a gift for my Daughter,
I'm at sea at the moment as I'm a Navy Officer, and due to the nature
of my Job.....phone calls making and visiting of website are
restricted but I squeezed out time to check this advert and send you a
message regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my
Daughter I won't let her know anything about it until it gets
delivered to her, I am sure she will be more than happy with it. I
insisted on PayPal because I don't have access to my bank account
online as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal
account, as I have my bank account attached to it, Get back to me with
your PayPal email and the last price you are selling it? so I can
proceed with the payment quickly, and sorry if you don't have an
Account, you sign-up for a PayPal personal account www.paypal.com it
is very fast and easy to set up. And there is a shipping company pick
up agent that will come for the pick up after the payment has been
sorted out.

Thanks.
Login to Me Too

ryleycampbell
New Community Member

i got the same thing today from someone trying to buy some walnut night stands i made.

Thanks for the response Does it need anything to be replace or repair?if there's please specify,i will take it for the listed price,Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well.I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment. I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too,since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP.

and then.....

I insisted with paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking more over i can't go to the bank due to the nature of my job, but i can pay from my paypal account, has i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through

this is after i said i only accept cash on delivery/pickup.

and it said the name was (removed).  Just a heads up to anyone out there! 

Login to Me Too

josephtritt
New Community Member

Beware of this person! I just had a similar interaction with him/her regarding an ad for a musical instrument I posted on Kijiji. Some of the exact same phrases/wordings that were described in other posts here. Thanks for tipping me off to this, everyone.

Login to Me Too

YoYo2
New Community Member

Thank you for posting this. I got one this morning for an item I am selling on kijiji. This is greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Mark_one
New Community Member

I just received a similar email regarding my Kijiji ad but before I suspected that something was fishy I issues a request to this person via PayPal to send me the money, which I cancelled few minutes later - ishould I be concerned with the fact that I did issue a money request via PayPal?. (I did change my PP password just in case)

Login to Me Too

Lowki
I have recieved thia text mesaage from a 302 area code : Ball Python advert still for sale ? if yes kindly email me on **** for future arrangement of the selling .. awaiting I did reply to him in email, and I got the same script : Thanks for the prompt response. I'm Okay with the Ball python as I have already go through it on the advert but just trying to make little inquiry from you, I'm ready to buy now as a gift for my Daughter, I'm at sea at the moment as I'm a Navy Officer, and due to the nature of my Job.....phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but I squeezed out time to check this advert and send you a message regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for my Daughter I won't let her know anything about it until it gets delivered to her, I am sure she will be more than happy with it. I insisted on PayPal because I don't have access to my bank account online as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account, as I have my bank account attached to it, Get back to me with your PayPal email and the last price you are selling it? so I can proceed with the payment quickly, and sorry if you don't have an Account, you sign-up for a PayPal personal account www.paypal.com it is very fast and easy to set up. And there is a shipping company pick up agent that will come for the pick up after the payment has been sorted out. Thanks. He is stating he will cover all shipping costs, avoids telling me where it will be shipped to, and repetivly keeps asking for PayPal information, DO NOT ANSWER THESE PEOPLE, SCAM STILL GOING ON.
Login to Me Too

scammer911
New Community Member

Run from Derek **removed** emails.  I got an email that looked copy and pasted from the others in the feed.  Word for word! tip off is we have no Marine officers stationed in Alberta.

Login to Me Too

YYCseller
New Community Member

You bet they are still at it.  I got a message form a Derek Brown, who claims he is a marine officer who has limited access to his phone and internet...however, still he managed to reply to my chain of emails because he reeeeeally wants to buy a set of rims for his daughter's birthday.  He is a marine officer, which means that he can't pick up the rims in-person.... duh!  So? He is going to get an "agent" to do so instead....seriously?  Get a life... and go make an honest living.  Karma catches up to you, loser! 

Login to Me Too

67custom
New Community Member

Got one yesterday, same wording, my spider senses were going off, glad i checked in here

Hey.. Thanks for your response ..I'm Okay with the condition of the Item 🙂 as i have already gone through it on the ad but just trying to make a little more inquiry from you, I'm ready to buy it now as a gift for my Daughter, I work as a Marine Officer and I'm presently on sea ,phone calls and visiting of website are restricted due to the nature of my Job but i squeezed out time to check this advert and sent you a Text regarding it. I really want this to be a surprise for my Daughter, i won't let her know anything about it til it gets delivered to her, i am sure she will be more than happy with it. I'll be making the payment with paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, i have my bank account attached to it,kindly get back to me with your paypal email and your asking price so i can proceed with the payment quickly, if you don't have an Account with paypal , you can easily sign-up for a paypal personal account at www.paypal.com it is very fast and easy to set up. I also have a pick up agent that will come to your home address for the pick up after the payment has been sorted out.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

HHock
Contributor
Contributor

He will now claim to have sent you over your asking price, and have you first pay his agent through Money Gram for the agent's fee.  It is very tempting but what a SCAMER...LOL

If you have the time, just string him on so he will realise it is not easy to scam the general public!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.