NEED ADVICE - Is this a scam???????

tbfromns
We posted an ad to sell my daughters prom dress on KIJIJI in Nova Scotia. She was contacted by someone via email who claims to be working on a ship right now. they said pictures are fine they want to send full payment through paypal and they will have shipping company pick up immediately. we were to remove ad and provide our full address immediately for pickup. they also texted my daughters phone asking if the ad was removed. the area code for that phone number was an Idaho area code but this person is out at sea. My concerns are faulty english, demanding speech. AND IF WE accept payment and send the dress CAN that person then cause a paypal problem of some sort. We are asking $400 for the dress and it's $400 i cannot afford to lose.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

tbfromns
P.S this mother wanted to buy it for her daughter and surprise her. MY daughter was telling me the details on the phone and i was ok with it but then when i got home and read the email it made me very suspicious.. sometimes i'm too suspicious
Login to Me Too

tbfromns

Solved it myself - it was in fact a scam!! They never did reply to my daughter through KIJIJI. They sent a text to her cell phone (which she listed in ad) and said please email me - a gmail" account. and of course as soon as they mentioned Western Union that was it. Wish there was some way you could report the names to paypal so they could be flagged. OH AND GET THIS they created a fake FB account with the name <removed> with only two pictures and no friends (my suspicious nature again!) and of course she was a beautiful girl around the age of needing a prom dress. it was created last nite and we get contacted today.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.