International buyer, Is this a scam?

Zimzar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have never used PayPal to receive a payment for a item I am selling on Kijiji so I am new to this. The buyer supposbly has sent an additional $550 for shipping cost and $100 for extra fees and says for me to send the $550 to a shipping outlet via Western Union. Also according to my email I have received, this deposit has a temporary hold until I confirm shipping. But that means I would have to front the extra cash first. This looks like a scam to me.

Additional information is that they want to have my item sent to I believe to spain. With the transport company "Freight Forward". Also I had sent a payment request throught the PayPal website and it still has a pending status and I can see no actual status change. Is it safe to assume that this is a scam?

If so should/can I report this to PayPal?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

YamahaPiano
Contributor
Contributor

It is a SCAM!  

Paypal DOES NOT ask you to make payment to a third party!   I regretfully fell for the Western Union Shipping fee line because the scammers used the same email address as PayPal and the letterhead was identical - even down to the trademark.   I got suspicious when they asked me to pay an insurance premium of $1600!    The can come up with a million valid reasons....and they are pushy.

My mistake was to have taken action while the invoice I sent was still showing "pending".    A very expensive lesson learned.

Login to Me Too

ranson106202
Contributor
Contributor

i got a same Situation here!how do i do to get the items back from oversea!?

Login to Me Too

bgillespie
New Community Member

I too had a responseooking into the item I was selling. After a couple back and forth emails "she" offered to pay via paypal and I soon received an email saying that $6000 had been credited but was on temporary hold until I could show that I had transferred $950 via Western Union to some address in China for their shipper. Needless to say I told "her" to take a flying leap and have reported the incident to both Kijiji and PayPal.

Login to Me Too

tickle01
New Community Member

I got an email last night from a "Parker" from SC, wanting to buy my trailer. He wanted to buy it right away and advised me that he only paid through paypal. He didn't question the price which I thought was odd. He asked me to remove my add and he would transfer the money right away into my paypal account. All I needed to do was give him my email address for my paypal account. I asked him how he was going to pick up the trailer, as it is a rather larger one at 32 feet. He told me I did not need to concern myself with that as he would have international shippers take care of it....Something was just not right about this. I was not at home at the time, and I advised him of this, he was very insistant that I open a paypal account as soon as I could and to let him know when it was completed so he could transfer the money. Once I got home I checked Kijiji paypal scams and low and behold there were numerous stories exactly like mine, with pretty much the exact same wording....total scam, if it sounds to good to be true.....tread carefully. this guy Parker never contacted me after I told him I would get back to him....

Login to Me Too

plausible2
New Community Member

sadly, I think I just fell for the same type of scam. I signed up on PayPal to receive the funds for the sale of a mobility scooter that I have for sale on Kijiji. I continue to receive emails from supposedly PayPal wanting shipping info now that I have made the payment to Western Union.  I feel completely foolish and very nervous about the whole thing.  What do you think I should do next? Thanks for any help and advice...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.