Cancel a completed payment to an email associated to a Paypal account

JohnTheRed
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I made a payment to an email associated to a Paypal account and I want to cancel it. The payment is marked as completed. Is there any way I can cancel it?

The reason for cancelation is that the receiver cannot access his Paypal account because he forgot both his password and his secret questions.

I wanted to try the resolution center but the only two options ("I have a problem with an item I purchased" and "I want to report a transaction that I didn't authorize") just doesn't apply to my case.

Thanks a lot! Smiley Happy

Vincent

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes your best way is to contact paypal customer services (or to get your family member to do so) and get them to assist him in accessing his paypal account.

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary > phone them OR

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No you can't cancel a completed payment.

What you would have to do is file a dispute for non receipt of item (as he is not going to send an item if he can't get the money) and so you should get your refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JohnTheRed
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Unfortunately, I cannot dispute the transaction for non receipt of item. When I try to do so, I get the following error : "We're sorry, but this transaction cannot be disputed because it is not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the recipient directly.".

Is there anything else I can try? Or my final option is to tell the receiver to find a way to access his account so he can transfer the money back to me?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sounds as if you sent the payment as friends and family.??

If so then you should only use this option if you are sending a gift of money to a mate or family member.

If a seller asks you to send funds that way then you may well be scammed as you lose any buyer protection.

Are you sure he can't access his account or is this a way to scam you of your funds as you can't file a dispute to get your money back again??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JohnTheRed
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I sent the money to a familiy member as a gift.

I'm sure the receiver is having problems to access his account because he told me before I sent the money. I sent it anyway because I thought he get the money without using his PayPal account. The message on the PayPal homepage confused me : "You can send money to almost anyone with an email address or mobile phone number, whether or not they have a PayPal account. "

I guess I'll tell the receiver to call PayPal to have access to his account. His calling the best way for him to handle this? Or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes your best way is to contact paypal customer services (or to get your family member to do so) and get them to assist him in accessing his paypal account.

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary > phone them OR

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JohnTheRed
Contributor
Contributor

I'll do that, thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.