Buyer wanting to pay for my car through paypal

Diamond1958
Contributor
Contributor

I know a lot of people ask this and I have never accepted payments from paypal, just used it to make payments. A person wants to buy my car, has only seen the ad on Kijiji, she e-mailed once, I gave her more information. Then e-mailed back and said she is busy but would pay me through paypal and then have someone come and pick it up. She wants my paypal e-mail and my home address. When I responded and told her I want to look into it further, I then got a response with no string that just said "I am interested in buying this, I would like to know the present condition and your e-mail address" Which is pretty much the same as the very first e-mail. Is it SCAM, should I just pass, it seems weird and if I understand paypal correctly she could send the money and then pull it back correct.

Thanks for some help

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Diamond1958

Yes its a SCAM

Never accept a ppal payment for any items that need collecting as you will lose sellers protection if there are any problems

Strictly CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY

You only have sellers protection for  items that can be posted and you can prove DELIVERY

Ppal do not cover vehicles

Also who in their right mind would buy a vehicle they havent seen or tested

They will probably ask you to pay their "shipper" via WESTERN UNION because that is the payment they want they have no interest in buying your car

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Diamond1958

Yes its a SCAM

Never accept a ppal payment for any items that need collecting as you will lose sellers protection if there are any problems

Strictly CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY

You only have sellers protection for  items that can be posted and you can prove DELIVERY

Ppal do not cover vehicles

Also who in their right mind would buy a vehicle they havent seen or tested

They will probably ask you to pay their "shipper" via WESTERN UNION because that is the payment they want they have no interest in buying your car

Login to Me Too

Diamond1958
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I figured so. Also in case anyone else is wondering, I am in Canada I responded to the individual and asked for a copy of the drivers licence or passport, of course they declined and then told me they were in Pennslyvania, so that ended it right there.

Again thank you and glad they have this forum to help people like me.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Welcome glad you didnt fall for itSmiley Wink

Login to Me Too

richardblaylock
Contributor
Contributor

i had the same thing happen i called paypal and they told me to send them an invoice and make sure every thing is correct and i also loaded it with coditions have never heard from her again some people are just sick

Login to Me Too

patnew
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling a solid oak table set and a woman offered to buy it without seeing and my asking price. She then asked me if she could pay with ppal, I said cash only and this is the msg back
I insisted on PayPal because i'm not with the premises to pay you cash and don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking and i can't go to the bank due to the nature of my job, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payments asap for the item and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.

I wrote back and said no thank you.  Thank you for posting this, I realized it was a scam.  Havent heard back since.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi patnew

Well done glad you didnt fall for it!!

Login to Me Too

Jdyasin
New Community Member

Hey, I have my car on sale in FInland on nettiauto. And just got an email from a guy wanting to buy it & asking about my best price, I told him thats my best price & he agreed. Then asked me to give him my paypal username & mobile number so that he can transfer the amount & get the car picked up, claiming he's from UK. I replied that I'm not familiar with paypal so he can either transfer the amount in my bank account directly or the person who'll be picking it up can bring cash with him. And now he agreed even with that!!!! He's asking for my bank details!!! Bank Name, Account number, IBAN, etc..

If he transfers the money to my bank account, can he still do fraud????

Please guide

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hey Jdyasin

As this guy is a SCAMMER they will try anything, If you give them your bank details it could be a hijacked account and the money will be reversed

I doubt it if they will transfer any money to that account anyway

They are more than likely going to ask you for a western union payment because that is all they are interested in not your car

Ask them to bring cash on collection

Never accept a ppal payment for anything that needs collecting because if there are problems you have no sellers protection from ppal

To accept a ppal payment all you have to do is give the buyer your ppal email address nothing more

They want all this info so they can try to hijack your account, mobile number so they can bug and threaten you

Who in their right mind is going to buy a car without seeing it or testing it?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.