return shipping for fake items

totsky25
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

My first time asking question on this community.

I just a bought 2 pairs of shoes from US online store and received them last week. After receiving and inspecting the items, it turns out their shoes are fake. Have raised a dispute to Paypal and escalated to a claim with reason of shoes being fake/not authentic. Paypal has just made a decision and I am eligible for a refund after returning the shoes to the seller. Paypal also advised they won't be able to cover the return shipping costs. I believe the seller should cover the return shipping fees. What should I do in this instance? it will cost me around $80 to ship from Australia to US and don't want to spend that money for returning fake goods.

This is legitimate claim and can prove the items are fake af.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's PayPal policy that buyer pays return shipping for items "not as described".

You would need absolute proof to show the items are fake.  It's an insurmontable task and PayPal would noot be able to know for sure whether buyer or seller is being truthful.

This is were the reputation of the seller is of utmost importance before making a risky purchase.  When a price seems too good to be true, it generally is.  If you want to purchase a high demand branded item, make sure you purchase from a licensed seller.  Otherwise, you accept the risk.

If you don't like the decision by PayPal, you can let the case close and try to get a better deal directly with the seller.

In future, make sure you understand protection polcies before making the purchase and evaluate your purchase decsion carefully with an understanding of your risks.

Login to Me Too

totsky25
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for you help. I just called Paypal now and they advised exactly the same thing about not covering the the return shipping costs. But they gave me an option/idea of using the cheapest / slowest shipping service to ship back the items as long as I can provide a proof showing recepient's address. It will still cost me around $40 but should be able to claim it through here - https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

During the very long period you will be in limbo, not knowing if the item will arrive or not--or get lost or stolen before it reaces the recipient.  You could purchase insurance.

So, IF all goes well you would eventually get back the original item cost and you loss would be shipping costs.

Even IF the item arrives back safely, the unscrupulous seller can still dispute the arrival by stating that the item returned is not the same item shipped--or that you damaged the item.  If the seller wins that dispute then you have no product and you have no refund and shipping.

Evaluate your options carefully.

Login to Me Too

totsky25
Contributor
Contributor
Great advise! But Paypal rep told me as soon as I have proof of shipping, they will issue the refund to me straight away. Can seller still make a dispute?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From what i've read, no refund until proof of delivery to the recipient.  You ONLINE documentation of trackinging to the destination.  PayPal needs to be able to automatically access that information.

Refund would be initiated upon documented delivery.  At that point the seller still has an option to dispute the refund.  If the seller disputes the refund it will be put on hold until resolved either for the buyer or the seller.

If you paid by credit card (much better protection) you could file a case there for a fraudulent item.  If you open a case with credit card, then PayPal stops.  On the other hand you can open a case with your credit card if you loose with PayPal, but it wold be too late if you already returned the product.

So just understand and evuate options carefully and select the option with low risk of loss.  Is the received item of any value?  Is it worth as much as your cost to return?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can either return the shoes and pay $40 for return,make sure you upload your tracking number to the case.

Now sometimes Aussie tracking does not show up on our post office website,Paypal will then deny your refund,so you will appeal and tell them to check tracking on Aussie postal website.

Or you can skip Paypal and file a chargeback with your cc issuer,find someone to certify this is fake,fake stuff should not be returned,it should be destroyed,and see if your cc issuer agrees with you,we dont know how Aussie cc issuer handle counterfeit.

Most shoes,handbags,sunglasses,designer t shirts etc are fake on Ebay,dont waste your money. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I dont think your seller will say the shoes are not the same once you return it,as you can give her a negative saying these shoes are fake,and there goes her chance of selling her merchandise.

she probably have more counterfeits to sell or selling now. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.