resolving issue without filing a claim

Juless
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I bought a phone from swappa with paypal and it arrived damaged. I contacted the seller and he offered to replace it if I sent the damaged phone back.

How should I proceed if I want to remain protected by paypal, if send the item back and he sends me a repalcement does that mean that this replacement phone isn't covered since it is under a different tracking number?

I just want to make sure i'm not making any mistakes that I would regret if the replacement phone also comes damaged or turns out defective a month or two from now and paypal ends up denying me any sort of protection because it's not the original item.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Mmmmm, my first instinct is to stick to return for refund via dispute and not take chances with PayPal purchase protection policy.  The grey areas are not PayPal's strong suit.  It is not like you are dealing with Best Buy and you can trust them to replace it properly.  My 2 cents.  Be sure to return with tracking and signature confirmation to the address PayPal tells you to ship to.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

My guess is that the mistake was already made--buying from an untrustworthy seller.

You reall need to make sure you trust the vendor before making the purchase; PayPal doesn't protect you from bad judgement.

So, what to do now?  Normally, you would trust the vendor to follow through with a replacement, but a trustworthy vendor likely would have shipped a good product, and likely sold on a low risk site.

In light of that, I would say the vendoer is not trustworthy, so you should try with PayPal, but that also has serious risks and loopholes in favor of seller.  You file a dispute for not as described and maybe win.  Then you will need to pay for return shipping with tracking and get a refund for the product price only.  Even then seller can dispute with a false claim and maybe win.

Take your change and work wih buyer or file a dispute.  I think both have low chance of really winning.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.