"PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION" IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

vaderlock
Contributor
Contributor

"You're covered"  "Merchant fraud prevention"  "an added layer of protection"  "Our encryption helps keep your online transactions heavily guarded"

Everything you see quoted up there is directly from PayPal's website and is a complete and utter lie. I have been using PayPal since last year. Mostly use PayPal for buying and selling clothes and shoes on Grailed. I actually have an amazing feedback of 5/5 on this website. On November 22nd of 2017, the PayPal user "Concepcion <removed>" purchased an item from my shop for $329. This said item was received by the user on December 1st of 2017 at the PayPal verified address that was provided on my end. Everything went well and the user also gave me 5/5 feedback for the transaction on the website. Fast forward to December 15th, I receive an email from PayPal saying that there was $329 pulled from my PayPal account and that the user of this transaction had filed a claim of  "unauthorized payment" with their financial institution a.k.a. their bank. I of course immediately called PayPal the next day thinking it was a mistake done on someones end but no...in reality, PayPal just let a scammer easily dip into my money and take the money and safely escape. This is what I mean when I say "false advertisement." I patiently waited for the past month or so, called PayPal customer service multiple times asking if there were any updates on this case, even though every time I called they gave me new information that was not given by the previous customer service representative, I had let that slide too since they all had me assured that I will be winning this case no doubt and will get my money back and to stay put and not worry. I believed that, I honestly fell for that. I have all sorts of proof that will show that I deserve the money that was taken and they had no authority to do any of this, I have everything down to the receipt that was given to my by USPS for shipping the item. Not surprisingly, I received an email an hour ago by PayPal letting me know that they are useless and they can do nothing at all and will let this scammer take my money and be free. The scammer's financial institution sided with them and I am here left with neither my $300(they refunded me the $29 in one of the previous calls since it was a dispute fee and the representative believed I was gonna win this case anyway so he just sent me the $29) or my item. For some odd reason they have no control over the money that was in my PayPal account, I do not believe that. PayPal will most likely delete this post since I am calling them out, or maybe just sit aside and do nothing since they are so good at that. I am honestly disgusted by all of this and will not be using PayPal until this is resolved. 

P.S. if anyone lives in the Kerman, California area, let me know so we can find this scammer and get my $300. 

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

If a buyer files a chargeback with their credit card company and the card issuer closes the case in their favor, you aren't going to get your money back regardless of the payment processor you use.  So you can blame it on PayPal and say you won't use PayPal anymore, that's fine.  But when the same exact thing happens with the next processor you use don't be surprised.

As for the situation at hand, the transaction details showed Seller Protection was eligible, right?  And you shipped to the exact address provided on the transaction details screen, with tracking showing delivered and signed for?

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

vaderlock
Contributor
Contributor
Yes it was delivered to the exact address that was provided and PayPal is aware of this since i provided them with everything they asked for. And no there was not a signature confirmation since that is not compulsory from my side for any transactions unless the buyer asks for it. I'm not sure how that would even help since the user claimed it was an "unauthorized transaction."
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Well, it used to be that signature required was necessary on items greater than $200 in order to be covered by seller protection, but I just checked the policy and that has since been increased to $750, so you should be fine there.

I do see that you shipped with USPS, which doesn't always provide great tracking. Did you ship priority? What's the tracking number on the package? Did the buyer have the package re-routed to a different address, by chance?

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

vaderlock
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I shipped using USPS 2-3 priority mail and provided tracking to both customer and PayPal. I tried adding the tracking to the post but it did not let me. It was not rerouted to another address, at least not to my knowledge. You seem to know alot, please let me know if there is anyway I can get my money back.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

From what I read you did NOT add tracking to the PayPal transaction record when you shipped the item; this would mean PayPal robots did not know the item arrived.  If you had included tracking number at time of shipment then you should have seller protection.

When you check USPS.com with the tracking number does it show correctly delivered?

Login to Me Too

vaderlock
Contributor
Contributor
What? From which part did you get that I did not provide tracking on PayPal transactions? I provided tracking in every step of the way and multiple representatives clearly said that I am eligible for seller protection. I'm not sure what part you read wrong. And yes it shows it was correctly delivered to the address in USPS website and app. PayPal and PayPal "bots" as you say, is well aware of the fact that it was correctly delivered.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You mentioned that you provided information PayPal requested as if you had not added it to the transaction detail at time of shipping.  I look for specific stated details which were not there.  

With tracking added at time of shipping you should qualify for seller protection so you need phone PayPal support and appeal any protection denials.  You need to very specifically state exactly what you and when and then that you complied with the protection policies.  It will take a lot of persistence and patience; it will not be automatic.

Login to Me Too

vaderlock
Contributor
Contributor
No. I provided tracking separately again (after transactions page) because PayPal asked me to send all and any proof that it shows that it was delivered and that included receipts, USPS delivery status, conversation with buyer. Just got off from a call with them and was told the opposite. They still cannot do anything at all. I was just told that they have no authority anymore to do anything about the money because they are just a payment processor and that the users bank decided in their favor and PayPal is powerless once that is done. But if the user filed a claim through PayPal, then I would have my money back. PayPal does not have authority to do anything anymore. She suggested to me that the only thing I can do rn is file a small courts claim and somehow get it back through legal actions. They are merely a payment processor was their excuse.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It is correct that PayPal can do nothing to recover the funds from the buyer transaction.  This is where PayPal seller protection kicks.  PayPal reimburses sellers out of PayPal funds for the loss.

PayPal seller protection DOES cover chargebacks; as far as I know unauthorized charges are chagebacks so the should be included.

You really need to understand the details and then phone PayPal support again and make sure you talk to a knowledgeable person.  You need to present your side with all the legal facts about seller protection.   Go to the User Agreement and review the seller protection policies.  Then memorize the critical phrases that relate to your case so you can comfortable spew them out to the agent.

Do some research on the forum to find out how others handled similar situations.

Like I stated previously it will take a lot of persistence and patience.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.