Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's not from PayPal.com

Forward to spoof@PayPal.com

Login to Me Too

Beckers
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email today from an email address that appeared to be from Paypal:  

Fri 12/8/2017, 4:27 PM

Hello 

We’re writing to let you know the email address you use to log into your PayPal account was changed on Dec 7, 2017.

Summary Information

If you did not make these changes or you believe an unauthorized person has accessed your account, Click Verify at the bottom of this.

This is not you? <removed> Now

Thanks,

PayPal

I did not click on the link "Verify", as this did not seem to me to be a legitimate email. I signed into my paypal account using the email I have always used so it is still working. Has anyone else received something similar? Thanks in advance!  

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What do you mean that it "appears to be from payPal"?  What was the real email address of the sender?

What as the URL of the link?

Login to Me Too

Beckers
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to include the email address that the message came from but Paypal wouldn't accept it.  I will try again in this reply, leavng out the "at" sign and any periods, as they didn't seem to like that, saying that it was not permitted in this community. 

<removed>

Login to Me Too

Beckers
Contributor
Contributor

There wasn't a URL, simply a hyperlink with the word Verify. 

Login to Me Too

divrmom
New Community Member

I received this email today but have not done this. Has anyone else received something similar? Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 2.36.44 PM.png

Login to Me Too

MacaronWeeb
New Community Member
I actually got an email about 10 minutes ago about a supposed online purchase from Home Depot. It shows me I spent over $99 but also gives me an option to cancel the purchase. When I canceled it, it takes me to what looks like a PayPal page but I didn't trust it. This is the second time I have received this particular email. When I logged into my account NO purchase from Home Depot had been made. I'm assuming it's fake since the last time I got this email I didn't lose any money and no purchase history was made thru PayPal or my bank account
Login to Me Too

xxStaten
Contributor
Contributor

For the passed year or two, i have been getting this email, mostly once a day and then sometimes up to 5 times a day. I've heard about the fake paypal emails, but this one looks real. So is someone actually trying to hack me, or is it fake? Here's the email:

​Hello ,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not initiate the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to change your password:

Changing your password is a security measure that will ensure that you are the only person with access to the account.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Thanks,
PayPal

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PPID PP321 - b650276d4709c

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You will know an email is not from PayPal when:

The email uses a generic greeting like 'Dear user' or 'Hello, PayPal member’. (paypal always use your full name).
•The email requests financial and other personal information.
The email includes an attachment, a software update to install on your computer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

e1allen2
Contributor
Contributor

Here is an email and the address that sent it.  If you get it DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING IN IT!   It had the official PayPal logo that can not be included in this email

Service PayPal <removed>

Notice to Customer,

Your account will be limited because we've noticed significant changes ln your account activity. As your payment processor, we need to understand these changes better.

This account Iimitation will affect your ability to:

• Send or receive money
  • Withdraw money

Also, you won't be able to:

• Remove any accounts
  • Remove credit cards
  • Close your account

What to do next

Please log in to your account and provide the requested information before December 28, 2017 through the Resolution Center. If we don't receive the information before this deadline or we notice additional significant changes in your account activity, your account access may be further Iimited.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.