does payal require your full social security number when trying to confirm your identity

marieR53
New Community Member

An unauthorized purchase made on my paypal acct.  When I denied the purchase I was unable to log into my acct (which is required to complete my complaint).  Paypal, concerned about fraudulent activity made me re-enter all my info.  I was required to give my full social security #.  Is this a valid request or was I on a "fake" site trying to get my info.  I rarely ever use paypal so unsure what to do.  Thanks 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey marieR53,

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected request for information. When reporting unauthorized activity on your account, we wouldn't ask for your personal information such as a financial account number or a social security number. If this information was requested, you were probably looking at a fake website. Did you click on a link in an email to report the unauthorized activity? PayPal always requests that you go to our website manually and log in to report any kind of issues. You can find more information about spotting fake emails here. I would advise changing passwords or account numbers of any information you may have provided on the website. Hopefully this helps and the issue is resolved soon.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.