buying xbox one via email

DRAGON719
Contributor
Contributor

this guy on twitter is selling a xbox one for  $100  which i thought was suspicious but he accepted paypal so i placed a order then he cancels it and senda message to me asking him to send him money via his email so am i protected if i send  money via paypal thru his email ?

Ok. I'm gonna cancel the order because the tictail site is messed up
Iced Gear
Just pay like this: Send the money to: beastlyxxxx gm il com

When you pay, use the friends and family option so neither of us have to pay fees

In the notes, put your address so i know where to ship it to.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DRAGON719

He should not be asking you to pay that way.

Gift or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he is not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DRAGON719

He should not be asking you to pay that way.

Gift or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he is not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DRAGON719
Contributor
Contributor

as i thought now he wants me to go to a friend of his website and pay there but oddly theres 2 of em offeringa xbox one for $125 and  $135 and he has paypal checkout so since he uses paypal to check out im guessing if he tries something like sending me bricks or nothing i can dispute the transaction with paypal with in the time period right?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DRAGON719

No not really, he asks you to pay using the family / friends option as i explained above.

Then if you get the item and its misdescribed OR you don't get the item then you can't file a dispute as you have no buyer protection for paying that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DRAGON719
Contributor
Contributor

the iced gear guy on twitter now said this to me 

If you want, you can purchase from my friend @ FameGear.

If you would like I can cancel the payment so you can buy from him   Ok

Buy*

and the store front has a  paypal order check out and i told him not doing the email type transaction so if i check out via paypal check out i can file a claim like any other transaction thats going thru the normal check out procedure  can i not but my scam senses  are going off like crazy he selling one for 105 but his storefront is down or not working his friend is selling one for 125 and 135 a  XBOX ONE for that low either its bricks or broke or nothing im guessing was gonna chance it since a normal check out is protected by paypal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.