accepting PayPal in a country where it does not work

fststswmr
Contributor
Contributor

My cousin in Ukraine wants to accept Paypal for some limited sales he does. Paypal does not allow accounts opened from Ukraine. My cousin mostly uses other payment methods, but one client insists on paypal. I am in the US and have used Paypal for a long time. I want to help him (my cousin) out, so I was thinking of opening another Paypal account under my name here in the US, asking for a Mastercard from that account under the name of my cousin (Paypal says they can do it). Then I'd mail them the card and let them access the money from the card in Ukraine.

I would keep their money and mine strictly separate, hence the two separate Paypal accounts.

What can go wrong with this scheme? I am assuming that if anything bad happens in their account, Paypal can go after me, because legally both accounts are under my name. But what could go wrong? What's my risk here? Is there perhaps a better way of letting my cousin access Paypal from a country where Paypal does not work direclt.y?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What can go wrong?

You can loose any money you receive.

Both of your PayPal accounts could be closed.

You could be prosecuted for money laundering.

PayPal does no operate in Ukraine for valid financial and regulatory reasons.  Do yo really think you should attempt to circumvent such money restrications by opening a second PayPal account just for getting money into the Ukraine?

Why not check with Western Union or your local bank for legal options?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

why not sell it for him and collect the money ,then send him the money,either intl money order,cashier check or cash well disguised? or money gram.

Login to Me Too

fststswmr
Contributor
Contributor

> Why not check with Western Union or your local bank for legal options?

Whoa those are strong words you are throwing around! It's not illegal to have two paypal accounts, or to order a card from Paypal for somebody else, or to send that card to Ukraine, or for that person to use it.

why not sell it for him and collect the money ,then send him the money,either intl money order,cashier check or cash well disguised? or money gram.

"Seeling for him" is not an option. I want to be bothered to the minimal possible extent.

I have looked into MoneyGram and some other options. They are acceptable to me (my cousin has not said one way or the other), but I was wondering if PayPal-only option would be simpler, cheaper, less of a hassle for doth of us, while still being safe.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If it is not illegal or not breaking any PayPal policies to you, do it then.  Why ask if you're arguing for and kinda set on doing it after you've been told what the possible consequences is. You can help your cousin out but remember, no good deed goes unpunished. 

You are assisting in circumventing PayPal policy, by providing access to features not available in a certain country.

But go ahead and do you. Smiley Indifferent

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If I understand what you are saying,you have a Paypal account in USA,but you are going to open another account in USA under your name,then you are going to obtain a MC card in your relative's name and linked to your US paypal account you just open in your name?

then after  your receive the payment,mail him the card ?

first we are allowed 2 paypal accounts-one business and one personal,both must be in your name.

if you already have both,you cannot open a third one.

then you are going to get a l MC card in his name and linked to your new PAYPAL account?

what kind of MC card would that be?

credit card or debit cards?

paypal or non paypal

whether debit or credit must be in your name,not your cousin;s name/

and how is mailing him the card help him access his money? 

I assume this card can hold $$,thats why you can mail him the card and let him transfer the fund or spend it?

so would it be a prepaid debit card?likethe Paypal prepaid debit card which is a MC?

These cards are meant for USA,you have to tell us what card areyou getting for your cousin and why Paypal said it is fineto link your cousin'sc ard to your Paypal account/ 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

PayPal cards will allow you to add an additional cardmembers.  Like with PayPal business debit cards, I can have a card under my name and get a card for my mom with her name on it.  Sorta like how with credit cards, you can add additional members that will make transactions under your account and you as the main or parent card holder would be responsible for all transactions made on the child cards.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal business debit card would not work in another country,there is a gal who went to AUSTRIA and insert her card in every ATM machine in the city and none works.

As for Paypal prepaid MC debit card,it is run by Bankcorp Bank,I doubt it will work in Ukraine or even Canada.

Then there is Paypal extra MC credit card,it does not hold fund,so what good is it to mail it to him?

Paypal is not available in Ukraine.

He is better off downloading the fund to his bank account,get the cash and mail it to him or moneygram or wirtransfer ,although both wil be expensive.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.