Will a "verified member" send me an invoice for a payment and I'm fully protected?

dan6392
Contributor
Contributor

I'm traveling to an event next month and I'm looking to buy tickets now. The seller is on Craigslist, and says he can send me an invoice via PayPal which is fully protected becuase he is a verified member. Then, he'd mail the tickets to me so I have them before traveling to that area for a game.

Is there any truth to this?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

Yes and no - what's concerning is:  Craigslist + Tickets + PayPal = Red Flag

Yes, the proper way to purchase something is for the seller to send the buyer an invoice with the line items on the invoice, the buyer than pays, the seller gets their money and then physically mails or ships the items, includes the necessary tracking info and insures the item if applicable.  In addition to receiving the invoice, you should also have a record of it in your account Activity section.

However, should the seller send you an invoice that is outside of the PayPal system - meaning her or she just made up an email that kind of looks like something legit - you pay by using the send money feature and choose the "friends and option" because that's what the seller instructed you to do, you've just been taken as you won't see your item or money.

All that can done here is to point out the good and bad - it's totally your decision.

Login to Me Too

dan6392
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, this invoice is said to be sent from the verified member's PayPal account. So as long as the invoice and payment are both sent via PayPal, I'll be covered if I don't receive the tickets?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What is the real email address of the sender's invoice email?

What is the graphic  version of the invoice?

Is it possible to pay the invoice with a credit card?

Craig's list  and tickets are extremly high risk of fraud.  Don't spend what you can't afford to lose.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.