Why can't I get my money back from a hacked ebay sellers acount??

onthenet
New Community Member

I ordered something off of ebay(Nov 30). A Couple hours later the listing was deleted. I got an email from ebay saying basically thet the sellers account was believed to be hacked and someone put the listing up.Multiple people bought the same item I did. My payment always says pending on ebay. On paypal it is also listed as pending. It was listed as pending on my bank for a while but it now shows that the money has been taken out on 12/01/2016. But it still is listed under paypal as pending. On paypal It shows that the money payment is unclaimed. When I try to open up a case on ebay it says: PayPal reports that a case should not be opened.

I can't Find anywhere on ebay or here that I can get my money back. I tried to

open a case on here and it says "This transaction cannot be disputed at this time. This is usually because the transaction has not yet been completed" SO what am I supposed to do? I paid for something that I'm not getting so why all this hassel. This is why they have all the protections in place so people that pay with paypal don't get riped off. Can anyone help me? It seems to me that they should of gave me my money back already.                                                          

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If the money remains unclaimed for 30 days it will automatically be refunded or their system will refund the money back to your balance in this special case of a hacked account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Or file an Item Not Received claim on My eBay after the second estimated delivery date has passed.

Login to Me Too

blodeaxe
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat. I purchased an item on the 28th Nov. Immediately after ebay sends me the dreaded email........

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:

- If you already paid for the item, you may be protected by eBay. Open a request with the Resolution Center and choose, "I bought an item. I haven't received it yet." You can access the Resolution Center by visiting:

- If the transaction doesn't qualify for eBay’s protection, please immediately contact the payment service used to request a refund.

- If you haven't paid for your item, consider this transaction canceled and do not send payment.

In this situation, your account wasn't accessed by the third party involved. At eBay, we take a number of steps to help ensure the security of your account. Learn more about protecting your account at:

Thanks,
eBay 

The seller is from UK but PayPal is sending the money to a Chinese address. Immediately  I keep checking Paypal an the payment hasnt left only says pending, I left it like that thinking it would be canceled automatically  an after a few days it changed to sent. Ok strange so now since I technically paid for the fake item I follow the directions an open a I brought an item an havent recieved it yet case an its closed the very next day with a message saying I havent responded in 30 days so its automatically closed. So I head over to PayPal an they wont do anything because I already opened a case with Ebay an they close my case immediately. I suspect this is the automated system working. So i call to speak to someone at ebay. They say sorry PayPal is handling this case call PalPal. I call PayPal an they say the same thing except its eBay handling the case. An we been back an forth like this for weeks.

What can I do? Did I just lost all my money to a over smart chinese hacker/scammer?

Who should I contact?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You left it like that way longer than a few days because when you filed INR with eBay, they said you filed past the 30 days allowed.  When something like this happens, if you did not receive the item after the second estimated delivery date, you should file INR to get your money back.  No idea what you did or did not do but you somehow did not responds and the time lapsed.  You only recourse is if you funded payment with your credit card, you can file a dispute with card issuer.  Call customer service number on back of your card.

Login to Me Too

blodeaxe
Contributor
Contributor

No....All this happened within first week. As soon as i saw paypal sent the money anyway. instead of canceling the sale. I contacted ebay to open the INR case like they suggested in the email but in just a few hours it was closed. Reason it was automatically closed? Because they had not heard from me in 30 days.  Thats when i turned to paypal an opened a case. But they wont touch it since I already opened a case with ebay.

Well anyway I just got some emails a few hours after posting in here....

First one from eBay

Hi xxxx,

Thank you for contacting eBay in regard to xxxxx. I understand that you want to get a refund for the item you haven't received. Let me explain the status of your case.

After checking, I can see that the case was automatically closed by our system due to payment reversal. We don't have access to your PayPal account at eBay, so I can't tell you exactly why the payment was reversed. For more help with this payment please get in touch with PayPal Customer Service by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I trust this information is helpful. If you have any more questions about your eBay account, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Ana E.

eBay Customer Service

An then without doing anything I get message from PayPal

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

I have filed a claim for you and the case number is ---.

We will reach out to the seller and proceed with this claim to deliver your goods or refund your money by January 14th.

Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sincerely,
Carl
Protection Services Department
PayPal

Login to Me Too

rockhogs
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

and what happened next, did you get your money back?

Login to Me Too

AlexV00700

What is your outcome?

I'm in the exact situation.

eBay is telling me to click on the Cancel butting in PayPal, but it does not exist.

I cannot see where my protection from Paypal is here.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.