What amount does PayPal insure if an item does not arrive from the sender?

rchristgau
Contributor
Contributor

Does PayPal just look at the amount the item was sold for and deduct that from the sender's account and credit it back to the buyer's account?  Just wondering because in order to lessen customs duties I am considering asking the seller to insure the item for less than the paid value at USPS, but I want to know if this will cause problems for me in terms of getting all my money back from PayPal if the item doesn't arrive?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal does NOT insure delivery.  Insurance protection is for the benefit of the seller/shipper, not the buyer.

It is important that you buy from a seller with a good reputation for shipping safely, timely, and with assurances of reimbursement in case of problems.

Falsifying documentation for purposes of reducing import fees is a serious offense.

If an item does not arrive, the first thing is to contact the seller and ask for a refund or re-shipment.  (Itis important that the original shipment be timely and trackable.  I would only buy if I have assurances it will arrive within 14 days of shipping.)  If the request fails, then submit a dispute through PayPal.  If you follow ALL of PayPal buyer protection policies, you should eventually get reimbursed through PayPal.

Login to Me Too

rchristgau
Contributor
Contributor

Your remark is not helpful...PayPal may not insure delivery directly but if PayPal does not protect the buyer if an item is not shipped/received then what would be the point of using the service????

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@rchristgau

Your question was answered regarding insurance.

it seems, however, you are interested in buyer protection provided by PayPal.  That is different.  If you follow ALL of PayPal polcies for purchases, PayPal will provide buyer proection in cases of non-delivery and item different than advertised.

If you are interested in buyer protection rather than shipping insurance, just ask for such information.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rchristgau

You would ONLY be reimbursed for the item cost plus shipping of the item to you.

You are NOT reimbursed import duties as that is between your own countries customs taxes and you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.