Visa Chargeback for In Person Sale

humanshapedrobo
Contributor
Contributor

Recently received a chargeback for a print I sold in person at an arts market. The chargeback came out of nowhere (this was from back in November). I've dealt with one of these a while back - so kind of knew what to expect. I waited for PayPal to ask me provide proof of purchase, but was a little confused when I received a message saying the chargeback was decided against me in the buyer's favor. Then came the $20 fee out of nowhere. So I'm out the cost of a print, the payment, an additional fee (and a nice negative balance, to boot). 

I had a (digitally) signed receipt from the PayPal Here app, which outlines all the transaction details - even geo-tagged. At a minimum, I expected PayPal to ask if I had any information on the sale. I understand a tracking number is preferred but since this was an in person sale, there's no shipping. 

I know this is the cost of business sometimes, but is there anything I can do. All I keep hearing is contact the seller, but aside from transaction info, and name - I don't have much to go on. I tried to contact Visa, to at least get some details, but I need the card issuer (BoA, Wells etc) and PP isn't able or willing to even provide that...

Any help would be appreciated - do I need to take a picture of each customer next time or get finger prints (it seems even that wouldn't help!)?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.