Unregistered shipping; Damaged box

Reina2
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry if the questions don't fit exactly into this section. I'm very confused and worried and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My buyer chose an unregistered and uninsured sea mail shipping method out of all the alternatives I provided. The item has reached my buyer although it is damaged. The buyer has sent me images of the item to show that it arrived. Can I still be valid for Seller's protection since there is no tracking number? Or can I possibly get the number from somewhere? I did not receive any number when posting the item to the US, would USPS have a number? If I am not eligible for seller protection, what are the consequences? As far as I know there might be a $20 chargeback if I win the claim. However would Paypal not assist me in this matter if they determine the claim in my favor? Would I still have to refund the buyer through the credit card company? And what will happen if I lose the claim? Sone background: the main item (a fragile item) is not damaged at all. However the box which the item comes in is damaged. The buyer insists that s/he wants to display it in the box and has opened a claim about this. However the industry and the manufacturer does not consider the box to have any monetary value and stated on their website that the box is to protect the item and any damage to the box but not the item itself will not be refunded or replaced. Thank you.
Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Reina2

He can only do a chargeback if he funded his paypal payment via a card, no way to know that.

If he WINS an SNAD then he would have to return it to you at his own expense before you have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Reina2 wrote:
@sharpiemarker Thank you for the clarification. The shipping carton is crushed which matches the damage on the item's box itself. However, the suspicious thing about this is that they buyer said s/he checked with USPS and confirmed the parcel arrived in the country in that state. I'm skeptical as to whether USPS would keep a record of this for an uninsured method. As far as my country's shipping is concerned, they do not. The buyer also previously insisted the item itself has damage. But I shot that idea down by comparing images I showed her before shipping the item out to what s/he has received. It felt a lot like the buyer was trying to find faults to strengthen his/her case. After I showed the comparison, the buyer immediately changed tune to "seeing wrongly and thinking it had damage". On the forum which I am selling on, the buyer has been facing financial difficulties and has been shirking out of paying for goods s/he reserved and will be blacklisted soon. Will these be points of consideration for Paypal? Also is the box itself considered part of the item though? From what I understand, the industry only considers the item itself as the Item. The box is not shown in prototype pictures too.

@Reina2,

You can certainly add your concerns about the photo comparison and buyer shirking their other order commitments at forum where you sold the item during the "dispute" phase but since it is a SNAD dispute which are not covered under purchase protection, you're better off cutting your losses now as it is still a PayPal dispute by refunding in full or work out a partial refund to avoid chargeback and it's fee which is the only upshot you have ATM.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Reina2

PAYPAL robot does not read comments or view pictures,SNAD is SNAD,it cant tell who is telling the truth,so it will ask buyer to return the item so he gets his money back and you get the merchandise back.

Next time,insure the package .and dont let the buyer force you into choosing the cheapest method of shipping. 

Login to Me Too

Reina2
Contributor
Contributor
@Whac-A-Mole Despite the whole conflict, Paypal decided to refund the buyer with no cost to me. Am I right to assume that this is a win-win situation for both the buyer and myself?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

sounds like an excellent idea,you are a lucky man.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.