Unauthorized transactions

Mo79
Contributor
Contributor
Hey , so I’m confused a little a few months ago I had my account compromised and who ever hacked it changed my email and use another but kept using my identity, I reported to PayPal but nothing happened so I canceled my debit card that was linked with the account and I got a new one and I don’t recall using my bank account number. Later I opened a new PayPal account using different email address than the other one I used for the account that was compromised and I used a new debit card to verify my payment. Just today 04/06 I received an email from my bank about unusual activity in my debit card it was about 6 transactions all in the same times with the number 402 in the statement after hours calling my bank and PayPal, finally I knew it wasn’t from my current account but the account that was compromised a few months ago. Gladly PayPal were able to restore my account and issued a refund for all the transactions but my concern how did the one who compromised the account was able to stole money from my account there is no activ debit or credit card or because I canceled my debit card. Could be he knew my bank account number somehow and use it to stole the money or because he already using my identity PayPal assumes it’s me and made the transactions with my other account I should mention also when I restore the account I found out he used the current debit card I have. How he got my debit card number and why now not since he compromised the account. Thank you
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey Mo79,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your old account and the unauthorized charges. It sounds like either there was still a payment source on your compromised account, or your financial information may have been compromised. I would advise contacting us so that we can ensure your information is secure. Hopefully this information helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.