Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Temp20221014O, @Tina-Rich123, @Shansiggers, and @Janet1141,

I'm sorry to hear about the unrecognized payments in your accounts. I'm happy to help!

Digital River is a company that sells a number of different products, which typically involve a subscription. You may not be familiar with the name Digital River because they do not have the same brand recognition as whatever was purchased. If you've purchased anything online that is handled by Digital River, there will be a subscription in your PayPal account under that name that you can view, edit, or cancel by following these steps

If you believe that you did not initiate any subscription payments, you can also open an investigation for unauthorized activity by following these steps. This process will also take you through re-securing your account to prevent any additional unauthorized access. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Janet1141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi t iv had another email off another user saying my PayPal account is going to take out £38 .00 from my account for paddy power.  I don't even bet.  No money has come out if my account nor for the other one so I can't cancel as they are not in my PayPal account .They must be a scam .but I'm not clicking on any of the emails Iv received.  I can't send a copy of them to my email company as they are spams so not sure what to do  i just thought that you should be aware that I have two emails now that somebody is trying to take money out of  my account .  Thanks for your help. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Janet1141,

Phishing emails can definitely be disconcerting! Great job not clicking on any links in the emails! You can forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com for our teams to review. Thank you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bobjury
Contributor
Contributor

It's OK!  I haven't used PayPal for this but I saw the payment for £49.99 in my bank statement 'Pending Transactions' this morning, and immediately phone the bank (Lloyds) .  They did some investigation while I was on the phone and were able to tell me that 'Digital River' is now the name of the company that sells Avast anti-virus software, which I've been using for a couple of years now.   So this is the annual payment for the software licence and is perfectly genuine.
Hope this helps,

BJ

Login to Me Too

Icarob
New Community Member

Today I have a received a notification from my bank  via email about USD 27.97 that was charged to one of my credit cards which was registered (up this morining) in PayPal. This charge was invoiced at 3:30 am to DIGITAL RIVER IRELAND SHANNON, CO.IRL. I have read in web that this charge is a potential fraud committed to credit card registered at PayPal. However, I have seen in my paypal account but I don't see any charge registered, however my credit card has it. I have deleted this credit card from my account to prevent any damage in future. Please I need that you attend this request and your information about this potential fraud.

Login to Me Too

singingdeb
New Community Member

I have payments going out to Digital River too. I believe they are a payment processing company on behalf of many other digital companies - where you may have signed up to a subscription of something.
I believe mine is for my Microsoft Office 360 subscription.

Login to Me Too

mattys77sutt
New Community Member

I was also charged from the same company and didn't recognise the transaction.

Upon reading the replies on this forum I have realised that it was the anti-virus protection that I purchased through Trend Micro.

Also after looking at the receipt again I noticed that it included the Merchant Name: Digital River.

It is not something that I expected and thought to pay too much attention to at the time of purchasing the antivirus protection.

It is good to be vigilant with these matters.

Login to Me Too

Freaked
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me today only they took €71.00 from my account. Never heard of the company. Never bought anything from them. I'm **bleep** furious. Don't know whether to cancel my PayPal account and cards. Waiting for a reply on this asap.

Login to Me Too

annchristin86
Contributor
Contributor

I'm waiting for a response from digital river myself. The reciept from paypal says AVG Technologies, but had a chat with AVG and I had no such transactions on them. I only have the free version and the costumer support person told me send the paypal reciept to them so they could check into it as well.

Login to Me Too

Kalonapua3
New Community Member
I was looking my PayPal and checking account and notice a 49.99 fee to DigitalRiver US Inc. I didn't authorize this transaction. I filed complaint with PayPal, and hope they credit me. I just don't understand how these transaction go through.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.