Unauthorized bank acct debits "ACH W/D: PAYPAL TYPE: INST XFER CO: PAYPAL"

Dunnett_Fan
Contributor
Contributor

I've searched Help but find no answers, and the replies are old, from 2014 to 2016. I'm new here so may not be using the search tool correctly. 🙂
Near the end of every month from Aug. 2017 to Dec. 2017 I have debits for $5 a month in my bank account called ACH W/D: PAYPAL TYPE: INST XFER CO: PAYPAL. Since there are no such charges in my PayPal account, and I deleted the link between PayPal and my bank a long time ago, I guess PayPal's name is being used for fraudulent transactions? I'll call my bank, but does anyone know of this situation and how it was resolved? I need to stop these charges.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

It sounds like you're subscribed to a servie charging $5/mo through your PayPal account.  Are you sure that bank account isn't hooked up to a PayPal account you own that is getting charged for a subscription fee?

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

It sounds like you're subscribed to a servie charging $5/mo through your PayPal account.  Are you sure that bank account isn't hooked up to a PayPal account you own that is getting charged for a subscription fee?

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Dunnett_Fan
Contributor
Contributor

@angelleye wrote:

Another problem! I wrote you a big long reply, went thru the kaptcha selections, then when I submitted the reply I got "Authentication Failed" and it wiped out the whole message! Maybe messages time out.
To make it short this time, I unhooked the bank account a few months ago, and again, nothing shows in my PayPal account, which I rarely use. If I set up any kind of monthly donation or subscription I'm sure I would have used a credit card. I'll keep checking and get back to this forum. This may not have anything to do with PayPal. In the meantime, thanks for the suggestion!

Login to Me Too

Dunnett_Fan
Contributor
Contributor

@angelleye wrote:

Solved!   Angell Eye, it turns out your suggestion comes the closest to what actually happened. No, I didn't have another PP account and did not have my bank account linked to Paypal, but my ex-husband did! He hadn't used PP in years, but apparently the charity, Hope for Paws, charged him through PP. They were only authorized to take a one-time donation, but somehow he--or they?--signed him up for monthly and were VERY HARD to reach (in a scam sort of way) so he couldn't cancel it. He bungled it, basically. Thank you and others who responded to my question. By the way, PayPal's customer service was super efficient and fast, putting the puzzle together in no time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dunnett_Fan

When you pay someone online with a card and NOT logging into paypal then of course it won't show on your paypal account.

However if that seller processed the payment with a paypal card reader then it would show as paypal on your card statement as you would have paid as a 'guest buyer'.

If its not that then check here as well  >>

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > and under "manage upcoming payments" top left of page second option down is pre-approved payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dunnett_Fan
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@Dunnett_Fan

When you pay someone online with a card and NOT logging into paypal then of course it won't show on your paypal account.

However if that seller processed the payment with a paypal card reader then it would show as paypal on your card statement as you would have paid as a 'guest buyer'.

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > and under "manage upcoming payments" top left of page second option down is pre-approved payments.

Your second sentence explains what happened to me with an Amazon charge a few months ago. An Amazon seller must have used a PayPal scanner and I was all confused, because I saw "PayPal" in the credit card statement and thought it should show up in my PayPal account, which it didn't. Plus, the seller and the merchandise weren't identified in any way. I thought it was fraudulent, but once the credit card company tracked down what the charge was for, I knew it was legitimate.
So that isn't my problem this time. I used your directions for the other option. I didn't see most of the options you mentioned, and I think that is because I don't have any upcoming or preapproved payments. I rarely use PayPal, which is why the credit card charge and now bank charges, especially, worry me. I'll get back to this forum once I find out what is going on. I'm going to look at the timing of my "unhooking" the PayPal-Bank link and the start of these charges. Thanks for the suggestions!

Login to Me Too

Dunnett_Fan
Contributor
Contributor

@Dunnett_Fan wrote:

@kernowlass wrote:

@Dunnett_Fan

Your second sentence explains what happened to me with an Amazon charge a few months ago. An Amazon seller must have used a PayPal scanner and I was all confused, because I saw "PayPal" in the credit card statement and thought it should show up in my PayPal account, which it didn't. Plus, the seller and the merchandise weren't identified in any way. I thought it was fraudulent, but once the credit card company tracked down what the charge was for, I knew it was legitimate.
So that isn't my problem this time. I used your directions for the other option. I didn't see most of the options you mentioned, and I think that is because I don't have any upcoming or preapproved payments. I rarely use PayPal, which is why the credit card charge and now bank charges, especially, worry me. I'll get back to this forum once I find out what is going on. I'm going to look at the timing of my "unhooking" the PayPal-Bank link and the start of these charges. Thanks for the suggestions!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.