Unauthorized Transaction

RCA7
New Community Member

Hi, I sold an item on eBay yesterday and the buyer paid through PayPal instantly.  I shipped the item same day, uploaded tracking number and required a signature.  That evening I get a message from the buyer stating they did not authorize the purchase and only realized someone had bought several things using their account (a coat from me, a grill, and a laptop) when they got the shipping notification.  The delivery address was her real address.  I put an intercept request on the package through the post office which costs $13 if they are able to intercept (they should be able to).  Ebay says I am covered, PayPal says I am covered.  Neither can explain what that means.  If I get the item back, obviously I would be willing to refund the money to the buyer.  But what about the original shipping?  The buyer paid the shipping and if I give a full refund, I will be out the shipping.  (I am not worried about the intercept fee, I realize I am going to have to eat that.)  PayPal said I could give her a partial refund.  But if someone really did hack her account, that isn't fair for her to pay the shipping?  Will PayPal "insure" that part so she gets a full refund and I get reimbursed for shipping?

Has anyone heard of this scam?  Why would someone hack an account and have stuff shipped to the real address?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.