Unauthorized Payment

Brandon8282
Contributor
Contributor
A foreign account (account other than mine) has pulled $1,000 out of my checking account. I have checked my personal paypal account to verify that this transaction did not come from my account being compromised, and it has not. I have also had my banking institution put a stop payment on this transaction, but I was told that it is not 100% guaranteed to be successful. I was basically told that they have done all they can and now I need to contact PayPal directly. I have heard these stories before, you wake up to a bad gut feeling and can't quite place a finger on what it is until you randomly check your checking account, only to find that there has been a large unauthorized transaction. This scammer did not start with random smaller transactions to see if they would work, but tried an even $1,000 amount and was successful. It is currently just before 2:30am PT and I'm waiting for PayPal customer service to open now since I called and an automated system directs me to call back during normal business hours. Does anyone know if PayPal has a 24 hour fraud or security phone number for times like these? Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brandon8282

Click on the transaction > click on resolve a problem > file an unauthorised dispute in the resolution centre.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brandon8282

Have you actually opened an unauthorised transaction dispute?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Brandon8282
Contributor
Contributor
No, I am unfamiliar with that process. When I am able to contact a human at PayPal, I fear that they will ask me for my own personal account info, and that is not the source of the unauthorized transaction. Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to all this, I am having trouble navigating the website as it is, and I am on my mobile which for me only complicates things. Do you know how I can get started with the dispute?
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brandon8282

Click on the transaction > click on resolve a problem > file an unauthorised dispute in the resolution centre.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.