Unauthorized Charge, how am I not covered?

JDM_JOE
Contributor
Contributor

My nephew plays a online game with online currency. He has asked me to make small purchases for him in the past, giving me cash, no big deal.

However, I come to find out that he accessed my Paypal account and ran up $300 in a month. How is this not considered an unauthorized payment? I opened up a dispute, change my password, security questions. And now the dispute is closed and I am left with no reason why.

Please explain. I am to the point where I am going to charge back my credit card with paypal and close this account, this is rediculous.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Because you allowed your neph access to the account so you are liable.  PayPal accounts is a serious financial instrument.  Not something to just hand out because you will be giving that person full access to your other financial instruments.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

JDM_JOE
Contributor
Contributor

That is the thing, I never gave him access. I always made the prior purchases for him. I am not even sure how he gained access to my account this past month, since I do not save passwords.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You will have to ask your neph what happened and have him pay you back in installments in cash or in tasks like mowing the lawn.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PAYPAL has ways to tell like ISP address,did he use your PC or phone to access your account/

Login to Me Too

JDM_JOE
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, he uses our family computer. So the purchases would most likely have shown the same IP address.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I assume your family computer also stores some passwords or you walked away from your computer while logged on to your PayPal account.  That's your own security issue.

You could look at the date and other details of each transcation and then figure out what you were doing at the time and who was on your computer at the time.  You will need to do your own investigation.

Were the purchases actually made using your PayPal account for payment or was your credit card used for the purchase.

Who else knows your passwords?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

But that still don't explain access to the password if you said it is not saved on the computer.  Better to change password.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

did you write your password somewhere?

Kids are sneaky,or he could be watching you while you log in .

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.