Transaction Not Covered, But Refunded?

Flipster
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there guys and gals,

So i have a busy work schedule and don't quite have time to catch paypal support on the phone just yet.

So I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me, instead.

4ad06f68c0ae9fd1cb7178b3b1db61c9_LI.jpg

So is this saying that the transaction WAS NOT COVERED, however I AM being refunded?

Just to clarify, because it's very confusing to read a letter of decline, but yet, see refunds on the bottom of it? 

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Flip

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Shouc16
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same thing. Did you get your money back yet?
Login to Me Too

Flipster
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet, assuming it's at least 7 business days, I'm just confused if I'm waiting in vain. Because the more time goes by, the more I lose my argument against this.
My son got onto my paypal and fell for some scam on World of Warcraft? Apparently the guy told him to send money as a "gift" for his merchandise, my money...which is also part of the argument, but apparently the guy just ran off with his money too.

SO now, I'm trying to figure out if paypal is refunding this or not?

Login to Me Too

Flipster
Contributor
Contributor

Bump ^ still waiting for anyone to have an answer to this XD

Login to Me Too

Flipster
Contributor
Contributor

how bout you? did you get any money back yet? I still haven't seen anything, about a week later.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, Flipster. Thanks for taking the time to post a message in the PayPal Community! The situation you've described with the transactions that were reported and the confusing email sent to you is definitely not the kind of experience PayPal wants for customers. Here is some information I hope will be helpful.

It appears the message you received was malformed for some reason. In some cases, PayPal provides a temporary credit when transactions are reported as unauthorized. If the investigation finds no evidence of unauthorized activity, the temporary credits are withdrawn. If you received temporary credits, this may account for the contradictory language. Otherwise, there may be an issue with the way this specific email is being generated. I will take steps to have this reviewed.

Did you receive any other messages or notifications related to the reports you submitted? In general, there is a sequence of messages or notifications sent when a transaction is reported as unauthorized. One message acknowledges receipt of the report, another may indicate an investigation is underway with a temporary credit being issued and the last update would indicate how the case was resolved.

The situation you described where your son sent "gifts" in exchange for World of Warcraft merchandise is a pain point for PayPal as well as for customers like you. Payments sent as a "gift" (which indicates the payment type was Friends and Family) are not covered under PayPal's Purchase Protection Policy. If money is sent as a "gift" to a friend or family member, PayPal assumes the sender knows the recipient personally and they can resolve any issues between them.

Friends and Family payments should never be sent in exchange for goods or services. Regrettably, there are people who demand payment in this manner knowing the sender can't submit a Non Receipt or Not As Described claim under the Purchase Protection Policy. The only other option for customers who fall victim to this scam is to pursue other courses of action outside of PayPal's system to obtain a refund. I'm sorry for any frustration or inconvenience this poses.

I hope this information is helpful. If you do not see any further updates or a refund for the payments that were reported 10 business days after the disputes were submitted, that's also an indication the claims were denied and no refund will be issued. If needed, please follow up by calling Customer Service to confirm this. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Flipster
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michael! Thank you for the reply, what "other approaches" are you referring too, in reference to getting my money back? We aren't talking a small amount here. This is a BIG Issue and yes, it definitely does seem like a pain point. But the fact was, this was obviously a "SCAM" in which a seller offered a product to a naive person (my son) who then paid for a product that was promised to him, through a seller's choice of payment and received nothing in exchange.

I'd also like to point out that Paypal does not do a significant job at identifying to a customer, that sending "gifts" leaves them with 0 protections. I had to go digging for that information, for quite sometime, whereas there should be a VERY CLEAR notification that arrives when sending money as a gift, that informs the user that they are about to send money that they can not get back.

I'd also like to report the "Seller" if this is the case, as they are running a scam and should not by any means, be supported by Paypal in this manner. I have photo proof and everything of their conversation, the agreement, the payments, etc. Where do I go with this?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @Flipster

I'm sorry if information on our protections was harder to find. When making a payment on the website, we do explain which transactions are covered under Purchase Protection. I'll provide a screenshot below of what it looks like. 

We don't have a way to report another party. However, we will look at dispute rates filed against a customer and if we notice a common trend, we will review the parties account to determine if they should continue using PayPal. 

Regards, 

PayPal_Drew

Purchase Protection

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.