Too Good to Be True SCAM (Alibaba RFQ)? I am trying to figure out the scam here

cdinsights
Contributor
Contributor

Alright - so I am constantly on Alibaba sourcing equipment and parts for my business. And I put in a Request for Quote (RFQ) on Alibaba and received emails from people claiming to have products available for 75% off the current retail price.

So I asked a lot of questions over email and they all came back following along the same lines of "This is too good to be true"

Then I received this email:

"Its 100% brand new product. Yes full payment with paypal + 5% fees. Please note it takes around 12-14 days for the funds to reach our bank account from paypal. So lead time is approximately 20 days from receipt of payment."

So I am guessing the SCAM is that:

1) These people will use PayPal to process the transaction

2) Wait till the money hits their bank account

3) Then ship a product (or dont ship the product) 

4) I file a complaint with PayPal to get my funds returned

5) PayPal investigates (finds that I was duped - and returns my funds)

6) Since the crook waited for the funds to hit their bank account (they are long gone - and PayPal is out whatever the purchase price is)

Can anyone please comment and let me know your thoughts?

If yall can verify then I am going to report these individuals to Alibaba (as well as the other 5 individuals who have emailed me with similar offers)

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

cdinsights
Contributor
Contributor

I am willing to work with the Fraud Protection team over the phone if neccessary. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.