This this a scam - Craigslist

ejchockey
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling a camera for $600 dollars, she offered to give me $700 if I can use USPS priority with signature confirmation.  She asked me to make the request and to ship to her son.  I conveyed that I will only ship to the address attached to the paypal account.  She's asked me to intiate payment three times now but I wanted to make sure there was no way this could be a scam before completing the sale.  Does this seem legitamate? Is there anyway this could be a scam? I will video myself packaging up the product to show it was functional so she cannot claim that it was broken on arrival and try to get money back. 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ejchockey

Sounds very much like a scam, the only thing you have not mentioned is ARE THE FUNDS SHOWING IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BALANCE??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ejchockey
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @kernowlass, thanks for the quick reply! I haven't initiated payment yet because I was unsure if this was legitimate.  They didn't want to meet up to see if the camera works, so seems like a lot to fork over on the chance that what I am selling works.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ejchockey

READ THIS SCAM SO YOU ARE AWARE AND CAN RISK ASSESS THIS TRANSACTION  >>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often offer you a good price but don't want to view.

They try and hurry you to send the item so that you send before you are really paid and fail to notice.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ejchockey
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thank you for your help!  Just a scenerio.. If I had initiated a payment to her provided email address directly in paypal and it went through and was able to deposit it.  Could I then send out the item without any risk of a scam after I received payment through paypal?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ejchockey

Sorry but why would you be paying her? I thought you were the seller?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ejchockey
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass I meant initiating a payment FROM her to me, sorry for the confusion.  She asked me to initiate the payment request from my account to her account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ejchockey

Still sounds like a scam, they ask you to send them an invoice and then you get the 'fake' paypal email saying they have paid BUT you must send the item and provide paypal with a tracking number before the funds are released to you and you NEVER see the funds in your paypal balance.

But by all means send her the invoice and if she pays I will be well surprised    Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.