Swappa buy gone wrong! Please Help!

bkizzy
Contributor
Contributor
Swappa buy gone wrong! Please Help!

I recently purchased a phone on Swappa for $540. Before purchasing the phone I explicitly asked the seller if there are any financial obligations tied to the phone / if the phone is under a payment plan in which he replied "No, it isn't under payment."

Yesterday, I received the phone and upon checking the phone's IMEI with the carrier, the results came back as "this device is under a financed payment plan."

I asked the seller to either pay off the remainder of the phone or issue me a refund immediately, and now he is saying that he can only refund me when and if he gets paid by some time end of next week. The Swappa moderators explicitly pointed out to the seller that selling a financed phone is "a direct violation of the criteria you agree to for selling on Swappa".
Now Swappa is suggesting me to send the phone back in which case he should refund me immediately. However, the seller has stated that he isn't capable of refunding me until his next paycheck. I've opened a claim with PayPal but the seller hasn't responded yet. I'm not sure if I should send the device back now or wait until PayPal gives further instructions, or even wait until this guys next paycheck? Any input on how I should proceed would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bkizzy

Put all the info in the dispute stage and then escalate the dispute to a claim, DO NOT return the item back to the seller until paypal finds in your favour and tells you to do so, then make sure you send TRACKABLE and give paypal the correct tracking number (don't make a typo). Then you should be covered by buyer protection and if the seller does not refund paypal would do so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bkizzy

Put all the info in the dispute stage and then escalate the dispute to a claim, DO NOT return the item back to the seller until paypal finds in your favour and tells you to do so, then make sure you send TRACKABLE and give paypal the correct tracking number (don't make a typo). Then you should be covered by buyer protection and if the seller does not refund paypal would do so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.