Suspicious email from <removed>

motchi7
New Community Member

Hi I have received an email from <removed> with the following content. Dear &lt;my email address&gt; Reference #PP-500-568-533-736 What's going on? Your financial institution let us know that recent transfers between your PayPal account and your bank account were unauthorized. We want to make sure that you authorized any recent PayPal payments. What to do Log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible. We may ask you to confirm information you provided when you created your account to make sure you're the account holder. We'll then ask you to change your password and security questions. You should also do the following for your own protection: Check your account details (address, email, phone, etc.) to make sure they're accurate. Review your account activity to make sure you recognize the transactions made recently. Report any unknown or unauthorized activity. Go to the Resolution Center and click Dispute a Transaction. Login Your Account Now (once i’ve clicked this, it brought me to a page to login to my paypal account..the page looked legit but the URL seems suspicious I didnt login of course) Sincerely PayPal After reading the email, I accessed my account directly from paypal website but there weren’t any unauthorised transactions so I believe the above is a phishing email. I would like to confirm here as well to gain assurance. Thank you in advance!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Imago3d
New Community Member

It's a phishing scam. If you mouse over the link provided it does not go to paypal. Never login to any site that isn't paypal.

Paypal will address you by your real name and not your email address. Every time I've gotten an email from paypal they use the name I have on file and not my business name. So, that is a red flag. If you receive an email that addresses you as: Dear your email address, it is a scam. Mouse over the link if it isn't paypal.com don't click it.

In fact don't click any link in your email asking you to click and login. Go directly to the website through your browser (DO NOT USE ANY LINK GIVEN TO YOU!) and login. If there is a real problem there will be a note there. If you're still worried call paypal.

This goes for every site you may be asked about. I mean I do not have an apple account but I have had scammers send me a letter about my iphone being restricted. (I don't own an iphone.) It's just a way for scammers to try to scare you in to providing your information.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.