Sold item collection only, buyer sent courier claims damaged

Handalman1
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a tv on eBay, I have pics of it and video putting into box to prove condition is as described. I had a collection only auction as I didn't want to risk courier damage. The winning bidder wanted to collect via courier, I said make sure you have insurance as once it  is collected it is yours and any damage that may be caused will be your responsibility. Buyer said they had insurance, THEIR courier picked up tv. Now the buyer has raised a dispute and said it was broken..... I have explained it's not my responsibility based on the conversation we had already had. Would I be right or can this person really scam me??

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is not uncommon for buyer to file claim with carrier and ask the seller for a partial refund,

who packs the TV set?You or the carrier,if the panel is scratched,one could lay the blame on the packer ,not the carrier. 

Login to Me Too

Handalman1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not really sure what he thinks he can get???. The tv was not broken or scratched when collected, by collecting it and driving off my responsibilityvhas ended I would of thought . It was seen to be working prior to collection and therefore any faults or damage is the buyers responsibility, the tv still has man warranty as it's only 3 months old. He broke it and is trying to claim from me... or indeed maybe it's not broken at all....

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Handalman1 wrote:

I'm not really sure what he thinks he can get???. The tv was not broken or scratched when collected, by collecting it and driving off my responsibilityvhas ended I would of thought . It was seen to be working prior to collection and therefore any faults or damage is the buyers responsibility, the tv still has man warranty as it's only 3 months old. He broke it and is trying to claim from me... or indeed maybe it's not broken at all....

it is your words against his,some buyers are picky and find faults when the seller overlooked flaws,

It could be damaged during transit,or unpacking.

who did the packing? 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@Handalman1

You offered collection only, therefore you should not have accepted paypal.

As i already said you have no seller protection for items that are collected. 

ebay has changed the rule,local pickup must offer PAYPAL as well as cash .

the only way t o get away from Paypal is to sell outside Ebay. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lancelotme

Yes you have to offer paypal but you can list it as cash on collection and state on your auction that you only accept cash.

I sell a lot of collection items and only twice have the buyers paid via paypal and then i refunded them and restated cash only, was not a problem and they were happy to do so.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I mean it is Ebay rule that you have to offer Paypal as well on local pickup,it has been in place for more than a year now.

Gold Sellers are afraid of being scammed,they will sell gold with local pickup so they can ask for cash,then said if they cant come,seller will be wiling to ship to them.

But Ebay caught on and said for local pickup,Paypal should be an option on y our listing.

The only category you do not offer Paypal is motors.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lancelotme

Seems pretty silly to me that they tell you that you have to list with it but if you do and accept it then you have no seller protection !!!!    .....Weird hey.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is how some sellers avoid Paypal ,for high risk items .

Some buyers will claim they receive an empty envelope or postcards instead of gold coins or iphpnes and win the dispute .

So to protect themselves is not to accept PAYPAL,they make out a listing and specify local pickup,but then they will say,if you cant come for pickup,email me for shipping preference.

Then Ebay changed the rule and make every listing offers PAYPAL,except motors.

Selling gold on EBAY is  risky. 

Login to Me Too

Handalman1
Contributor
Contributor

Quite a funny development, I replied back to her, bearing in mind I had 4 people in the room who watched/videos and helped Me pack the tv, and video showing it in perfect condition, being switched off and put into original packaging.... she is now suggesting that it was broken before I sent it. Her justification for this is I told her to make sure she had insurance from whoever she arranges to collect the item. She now says she is going to contact the police as there are finger prints on the crack in the screen.😂😂 it's quite laughable, if eBay find in her favour I might sue them she is a joke!!!!

surely I would not sell something 'collection only' if it had a cracked screen, I've seen the crack and it isn't small, I think she has broken it on arrival and put HER finger prints on it...I'm hoping she does call the police, I'm in uk by the way

Login to Me Too

Handalman1
Contributor
Contributor

Quite a funny development, I replied back to her, bearing in mind I had 4 people in the room who watched/videos and helped I pack the tv, and video showing it in perfect condition, being switched off and put into original packaging.... she is now suggesting that it was broken before I sent it. Her justification for this is I told her to make sure she had insurance from whoever she arranges to collect the item. She now says she is going to contac the police as there are finger prints on the crack in th screen.😂😂 it's quite laughable, if eBay find in her favour I might sue them she is a joke!!!!

surey I would not sell something 'collection only' if it had a cracked screen, I've seen the crack and it isn't small, I think she has broken it on arrival and put HER finger prints on it...I'm hoping she does call the police, I'm in uk by the way

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.