Should I trust this buyer?

rileybru98

Hey there,

So i was selling my camera online through ebay. When the buyer went through the payment porcess, it got cancelled by ebay. The man emailed me and said he could just send me the money through paypal. I agreed as long as I got the money. He sent an email back saying that he sent it and to check my emails for conformation. I then recieved an email from paypalservice@pay-servic.com

saying that he had sent the money, however, that I would not recieve the cash until i sent the item and provided a shipping number and tracking number. I felt like this was pretty risky so I had to see if it was real or not. Do any of you know anything about this? I've never used paypal to recieve money before.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rileybru98

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

They use hijacked ebay accounts and try and persuade you to accept payment directly via paypal.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

urban01
New Community Member
I went through the exact same thing as described from both of you through the same email! I WILL IGNORE! luckily I received my item back and the scammers are expressing 'worry/angry' phase where they will probably proceed legal action lol.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.