Shipping to freight forwarder but customer has a confirmed address

Dps01
Contributor
Contributor

We are getting orders that are shipping to a known freight forwarder but the paypal customer and address are confirmed.

The odd thing is that we are fighting a previous chargeback from paypal that also shipped to a confirmed address so the question is - how secure are

we as long as we are shipping to the "confirmed address" and the package is signed for?  

Thank you

Doug

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

indichocolate
Contributor
Contributor

I also have received orders in which the "customer" has a "confirmed" address, even though the customer (outside the US) placing the order (and paying via their PayPal account) used the address of their freight forwarder in the US.  The fine print in which PayPal talks about confirmed meaning "reliably associated" with the address doesn't give me much confidence.

Also, the detailed requirements to be eligible for Seller Protection include this:

"You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction.  If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection."

That was a big bright red flag for me, so I called PayPal about a current dispute involving a freight forwarder.  The customer support rep told me specifically that if the address is "confirmed" and if I show evidence it was delivered to that address, then I'm still under Protection, even if it's known to be the freight forwarder, and not the end purchaser.  She couldn't describe a specific circumstance in which I would lose the protection.

The whole thing is concerning because I'm not learning much about how to reduce my exposure risk.  I see blog postings and articles that say vague things like "even though many people use freight forwarders legitimately, it's also true that bad guys use them as a middle-man to perpetrate fraud".  But I don't understand what specific, practical steps I can take that really will make a difference.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@indichocolate wrote:

I also have received orders in which the "customer" has a "confirmed" address, even though the customer (outside the US) placing the order (and paying via their PayPal account) used the address of their freight forwarder in the US.  The fine print in which PayPal talks about confirmed meaning "reliably associated" with the address doesn't give me much confidence.

Also, the detailed requirements to be eligible for Seller Protection include this:

"You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction.  If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection."

That was a big bright red flag for me, so I called PayPal about a current dispute involving a freight forwarder.  The customer support rep told me specifically that if the address is "confirmed" and if I show evidence it was delivered to that address, then I'm still under Protection, even if it's known to be the freight forwarder, and not the end purchaser.  She couldn't describe a specific circumstance in which I would lose the protection.

The whole thing is concerning because I'm not learning much about how to reduce my exposure risk.  I see blog postings and articles that say vague things like "even though many people use freight forwarders legitimately, it's also true that bad guys use them as a middle-man to perpetrate fraud".  But I don't understand what specific, practical steps I can take that really will make a difference.

this is contrary to eBAY buyer protection,if the buyer forwarded the shipment to a different address,he loses his buyer protection.

when an overseas  buyer uses mail forwarding service,it just create more problems,some mail forwarding service repacks your item ,when it arrives damaged,whose fault is it?

if you have bought insurance,it would be domestic insurance,not overseas insurance.

what if the buyer refuses the shipment due to customs duty or buyer remorse,and it come back to the forwarder,not you.

It could take up to a month,in the mean time buyer wants his money back.

if you have insurance,insurer these days would ask to look at the item,and where  is the item?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Dps01 wrote:

We are getting orders that are shipping to a known freight forwarder but the paypal customer and address are confirmed.

The odd thing is that we are fighting a previous chargeback from paypal that also shipped to a confirmed address so the question is - how secure are

we as long as we are shipping to the "confirmed address" and the package is signed for?  

Thank you

Doug

confirmed address is no longer relevant,you must ship to the address on the payment notice from Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

confirmed vs verified.

A Paypal account is confirmed if he uses his credit card to confirm the billing address.

Most people receive credit card statement at their home address.

his account is verified if he can confirm  his bank account by confirming the 2 small deposits Paypal made to his account.

Credit car authorisation does not check name,just address ,so now Paypal knows where he lives and knows he has a bank account ,along with his SS number,it feels it is dealing with a real person with real address and bank account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.