Sellers Beware, No Reason or Time Limit for Buyers to Reverse a Preapproved Payment

ih8scammers
Contributor
Contributor

Making a very long story somewhat less long:

Buyer purchased a subcription to participate in our classified section.  They chose the option to automatically renew via Paypal's preapproved payment system.

A week ago, they cancelled the subscription within their Paypal account, I received the notification.

Then they disputed the last two renewals, one in late November and one in late May.  They claimed the transactions were "unauthorized".  The transaction amounts were put on hold.

Then they contacted me claiming I had taken money from their Paypal account.  Had they beeen even remotely polite and simply said they didn't realize they had selected the auto-renew option or had accidentally forgotten to cancel it, I'd likely have refunded both since they were trivial amounts.  I reversed the most recent one immediately, since it was only a few days prior and they had not logged in.  I did this as a one-time exception to the clearly stated no refund on susbcriptions terms.

The other one was over 180 days old.  It also did not meet any of the other Paypal user agreement terms for a dispute, yet Paypal accepted it.  It was also not subject to buyer protection, as it is a digital subscription.  I was given 7 days to respond.

The biggest problem was that the Resolution Center did not allow me to upload files or comments proving my side of the story, with screenshots and copies that showed the subscription was legitimate and in no way, "unauthorized".  It only gave me options to refund or provide shipping information.

I emailed support repeatedly, but the agents apparently do not read or understand simple questions.  In almost every reply, they ignored my questions and issues and resorted to generic responses about seller protection policies or how to upload a response (which didn't work as I repeatedly told them).  I asked many times for it to be escalated to a manager when it was clear that the agents did not understand English or simply did not want to read the information provided.  Finally one agent took a moment to read what I was asking and said I could also fax my information in response to the dispute.  Then they gave me the fax numbers in China, Japan and Hong Kong (I have a USA account).

I finally called, since email support was utterly useless, and another representative kindly gave me the USA fax number.  I faxed the information exactly as requested, twice.

Today, they deducted the amount from my account, indicating that I had not responded to the claim in the 7-day window.

I don't suppose anyone has contact information of anyone higher up in the company that I could send this to?  It sets an awful precedent that allows anyone to dispute old preapproved payments without any ability for the seller to respond.  In fact, it took so much effort for me I can see why many would not even try.  Given that I can no longer trust Paypal's treatment of sellers, I will be curtailing my use of Paypal to the bare minimum, and accepting no large sales tranactions at all via Paypal.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

AdHocGroup
Contributor
Contributor

Please let us know what other payment companies you have found to use. I'm looking myself, and don't know much about these other options. Thanks

Michele

Login to Me Too

Brian_Seller
Contributor
Contributor

Am I protected if I accept a large $ payment via PayPal.  $20,000 as payment for a vehicle which they will pick up themselves (and I will get a signed receipt).  Does PayPal give me the protection I need as a seller that their money is real.  Are there any holds placed and for how long?  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If your buyer filed item not received,Paypal seller protection would need an online viewable tracking number which shows it has beend deilvered to buyer address,if $750 or more,signature confirmation.

No one would accept $20k from Paypal from someone buying a vehicle and pick up the vehicle. 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Go to Ebay seller forum/ebay motors and ask a question there,plenty of folks will tell you what they think 

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

as for Paypal holding up the payment,yes,it would.

If you are not a veteran seller in good standing and have not been accepting high dollars or new seller or seller selling low price items or new to Paypal,YOU PAYMENT would be withheld until tracking shows delivered.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No way, vehicles not protected, cash and carry for vehicles.

Edit: I should say not for goods delivered in person.  Then again the most you can send PayPal is 10,000$ per payment transaction.  I think it best you just go to the bank with the buyer and do bank transfer of some sort.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

No way, vehicles not protected, cash and carry for vehicles.

Edit: I should say not for goods delivered in person.  Then again the most you can send PayPal is 10,000$ per payment transaction.  I think it best you just go to the bank with the buyer and do bank transfer of some sort.

You can send over $10,000,it is reviewed on a case by case basis.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You know you would pay Paypal 30 cents transaction fee and 2.9% discount fee,which comes to $580.30 for no seller protection.

Some folks will meet at a bank parking lot,look over the car and then go inside the bank and transact,say buyer brings cash and seller deposits in his bank account.

Or buyer takes out cash if it were his bank  and seller buy himself a bank cashier check (if it is not his bank) instead of going home with that much cash. 

No chargeback,no item not received,no signature confirmation required,no counterfeit or rubber check.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.