Seller scammed by friends & family payments

MiSphynx
Contributor
Contributor

I am a seller who was scammed by a buyer who made friends and family payments. I was NOT aware of the option to choose friends and family payment method as I have a business account. I have held this account for over 5 years. Buyer made 5 payments, using the friends and family payment method. Buyer received my products, (2 live animals) and one week later claimed, this was a fraudulent transaction and because friends and family payment method had been used for $1.25 Buyer was allowed to retrieve monies paid to myself, Seller. THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE. So now Buyer has my products and my money. There is a small claims court case pending in January 2018 and I will keep the community posted as to what happens there.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

payment made via friend and family implies there is no merchandise or service involved.

but you sold him ,some live animals?

there is seller protection for unauthorised transaction,but you did not recieve these payments under goods and service,besides,you cant prove shipping either,like a shipping labels used.

selling live animals,better use cash upon pickup.

Login to Me Too

MiSphynx
Contributor
Contributor

I wasn't aware there was an option for buyer to choose friends and family as I have a merchant account. I've held this account for over 5 years.

This person was the only one to ever make friends and family payment. Which I did not request payment in this form.

I do have proof of delivery. I took a picture of buyer, in my home, with the 2 animals in their arms. And there was cash exchanged. Buyer is not saying "did not receive product" but instead has contacted their bank and declared these transactions as fraudulent. Bank stepped in and PayPal can offer no seller protection on friends and family payments. Funds were then returned to Buyer. I'm out my 2 animals and my money and now time to handle this matter.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.