Seller returned item but STOLE PARTS!

nikolecross
Contributor
Contributor

What do I do? They bought a broken laptop off of me, claimed it wasn't 'as described', sent it back... but they've stolen parts AND I am now almost $500 in debt to paypal!

Please help. I don't know what to do.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
There has been cases like this mentioned on YouTube, it is a cheap way for scammers to get free parts. PayPal is mostly run by robots so this kind of scams are easy, even if you do get human involved it might be difficult to explain this case to him and make him believe you. PayPal offers very long time to file a dispute and it is definetely ridiculous that after 90 days he files a dispute for that kind of item and probably he doesn't need to provide any kind of proof about anything. It is better to seller expensive items by using other payments methods than PayPal, like cash, cash on delivery or bank transfer if buyer trusts you. If you can't, then take a risk and accept PayPal.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

WHERE is it sold,if Ebay,where did you list it,what category and what is your return policy

Login to Me Too

nikolecross
Contributor
Contributor

Ebay, it was listed as for parts only, not working. I had a no returns policy, and when ebay didn't cover, they filed here on Paypal and somehow won. The listing no longer shows up on ebay, that's how old it is.

But the package is CLEARLY lighter and the parts are visably taken. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can show the shipping label of how much it weighs and the pictures of return compared to your original laptop  .

Unfortunately there is no way for paypal to tell who is telling the truth,if he does it too many times,he could be restricted from buying on Ebay and using Paypal

Login to Me Too

nikolecross
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to give it a shot... I'm pretty sick to my stomach right now as I have no way of paying paypal back the $500 for awhile... and getting scammed like this is utter crap.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It looks like this was an extremely high risk sale item; listing as no return makes it even seem less risky.

When it comes to returns, PayPal policies of allowing returns will supercede your claim of no returns.  Sellers claiming no returns seem more likely to be the ones trying to scam buyers.

Make sure you maintain suffiicient funds in your PayPal account of manage potential returns; it's just good business practice.

Login to Me Too

nikolecross
Contributor
Contributor

@DPCreations Typically I do, but he filed it 90 days later. As far as I was aware on ebay, its a 30 day limit? I don't even understand why he was able.

I'm already aware that it superceeds, I suppose when I very clearly listed it as a damaged, for parts only, with detailed pictures of all scratches, missing keys, the 7 beep error it was having, ect protected me? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
There has been cases like this mentioned on YouTube, it is a cheap way for scammers to get free parts. PayPal is mostly run by robots so this kind of scams are easy, even if you do get human involved it might be difficult to explain this case to him and make him believe you. PayPal offers very long time to file a dispute and it is definetely ridiculous that after 90 days he files a dispute for that kind of item and probably he doesn't need to provide any kind of proof about anything. It is better to seller expensive items by using other payments methods than PayPal, like cash, cash on delivery or bank transfer if buyer trusts you. If you can't, then take a risk and accept PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

On Ebay when you list your item under category for parts /repair ,and buyer claimed item not as described and Ebay will rule in favor of the seller,unless she shipped an entirely different item.

Buyer lost the dispute with Ebay,so he filed with Paypal and won.

If he lost with Paypal,he could file chargeback with his cc issuer.

Ebay is a flea market,scammers come looking for parts for camera,for pc .

There is not much the seller can do,may be point out that you have won the case on Ebay as it is meant for parts/repair and show the shipping label of how much weight is missing and before and after picture,and appeal to get a human involved.

You may want to consider selling on Craigslist and take non credit card payment.

No return is not really best idea,sometimes buyer is forced to make up excuses so he can  return the item and make me pay for return shipping.

But in this case,he needs parts so he stole from you,

you can always relist and sell it again, 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.