Seller protection on Priority Mail International?

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

I’m in the U.S. and have a current situation of working on a private (non business)sale of an eligible item to someone in Singapore for $975 + $53 shipping. In setting up the item in USPS Click ‘n Ship, there is no option for signature required. Am I then not covered under PP’s seller protection policy if the package doesn’t make it or the buyer says it didn’t and makes a claim? Is my only recourse taking the USPS insurance option for the full value?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

A call to PP says no, there won't be seller protection. I'd either have to use Priority Express International ($$$$ more) or another carrier. I also raised the issue of PP showing a Create Shipping Label button on the transaction received page, but not warning users with $750+ transactions that there will be no Seller Protection if they use certain services, such as Priority International. The rep didn't have an answer for this and was going to raise it up the line. They could be challenged for misrepresentation on this.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS does not  give you online viewable signature confirmation for overseas shipment,and not all priority shipping has tracking,priority envelope and smal box do not.

if you want signature,you have to use a private carrier like DHL,UPS,Fed Exp.

USPS priority overseas does include $200 insurance,but check to make sure if it is for all priority shipments.

as for $750 ,it is both Ebay and Paypal requirement,but not credit card issuer.

if yu want to play e tailer,make sure you read Paypal and Ebay terms and agreement and seller protection before you proceed.

Private carriers going overseas is expensive,check with INXPRESS for discoount DHL,where is the shipment going?

you can also live dangerously by shipping first class and insure with a third party.

Login to Me Too

highstream
Contributor
Contributor

My OP indicates Singapore and Priority Mail International. Tracking overseas is sometimes possible via USPS directly or within the receiving postal system site. In any case, USPS will show ultimate delivery in my experience; the catch is getting a signature. I will check out INEXPRESS, although they seem more aimed at companies vs individual occasional shippers.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

USPS often said they dont own the foreign post office,once the shipment arrives,they have no control whether they will scan the trackingh number,I am sure most USPS packages have no signature,unless it is registered mail.

but Paypal would not accept registred mail signature as it is not viewable online to Paypal.

I have seen some on large USPS prioity boxes,but that hit and miss,depending on the country.

Singapore is a pretty safe place,they used to have martial law years ago.

INxpress gives you a DHL discount,but the deal is signature that you want,YOU CAN also approach local mail service stations and they will offer you a small DHL discount to win your business,

What I DO IS mail USPS and insure the package with third party,you figure USPS prioirty gives you $200,you insure the rest with U-PIC or ship insurance.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There is USPS piroity intl guarantee,which they guarantee a certain date for delivery,what it does is turn it over to Fed Exp intl,but I dont recall any signature either.

but if you have to use Fed Exp,for the same service you get it cheaper from USPS,gurantee is void if customs delay or if you dont ship from a dedicated USPS post office,as Fed Exp drivers do not go to every p ost office in late afternoon,only the dedicated ones.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.