Seller offers refund if I cancel dispute

M421
New Community Member

I ordered something from a merchant and they sent me a different item.  Initially they sent me an email asking me to pay return shipping and offering only a partial refund (for the thing I did not order).  Eventually they sent a return label, but still only gave me a partial refund, leaving me to pay for the shipping.  After three times saying they would separately refund the shipping, and not doing so, I opened a paypal dispute.  The merchant has now contacted me saying they can't give me the refund unless/until I close the dispute.  A few questions here:

Does this (this merchant offering a refund only if I drop the dispute) violate PayPal policy?  If so, how do I inform PayPal?  I can't find anything in the dispute resolution center that would allow me to send PayPal the email for instance, or contact PayPal to let them know.

Finally, I opened this dispute as "did not receive my item" (since I didn't) as opposed to "item not as expected" because the description under that didn't seem to apply.  It was more like the item was in poor condition or damaged or not as described, where in my case they just shipped a different item.  I am wondering if I should change the type of dispute -- the seller offered PayPal proof of delivery, but what they delivered wasn't what they ordered.  But now the description for changing the dispute type says I should only change it if I receive the item after opening the dispute, which also isn't the case.  PayPal doesn't seem to have a  for "seller shipped a different item" and I'm not sure now which I should have used.  And I'm concerned PayPal seems to be on track to saying it's ok because they shipped me something.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Call PayPal ASAP and request to change the dispute from "Item Not Received" to "Item Not As Described".

EDIT - And do NOT cancel the dispute. You would most likely never hear from the seller again if you do.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.