Seller cheated us!

lw59
Contributor
Contributor

On May 8th, my daughter sent a paypal payment to a seller on Instagram for 3 American Girl Dolls.  Well the dolls arrived yesterday and they are in deplorable condition, totally worthless, definitly not as described by the seller.  When my daughter complained to the seller via Instagram, the seller had all her friends make nasty comments and post them on my daughter's account.

I sent an email to the seller asking for either a partial or full refund.  She has not responded.

My daughter used PayPal to send the money, but it was some kind of direct transaction.  I don't know what that means.  I know the money has already been deducted from my bank account.

Please help an PayPal newbie mother understand what happened here and tell me if there is any way to get my money back.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Does your daughter have her own own account?  She needs to read an undersanat all PayPal terms; click on "legal" at the bottom of the page.

There are serious risks to buying online.  The risks increase for direct purchases from strangers on Instagram.  The risks are even higher when purchased trademarked collectibles.  There is a lot of fraud in that area.

It's also important to understand the various methods of payment.

Sellers often ask for friends/family/gift payments as the buyer has no recourse for recovery.  

Look at the payment transaction.  What type of payment was it?

At least it wasn't a real expensive item.

Login to Me Too

lw59
Contributor
Contributor

It was $600.00 USD which I consider expensive.  My daughter had purchased from this seller previously without any problems.  This sale the merchandise was deplorable and absolutely not worth the money paid.  I have emailed the seller on my daughter's behalf, but she has not had the decency to reply.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why isn't your daughter handling her own problem?

Whose account did she use?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

since the money has already been taken out of mom's bank account,lets hope it is mom's paypal account she is using.

One cannot link one bank account to two paypal accounts belonged to 2 persons.

find the transaction in YOur Paypal account ,if it is made under goods and services,file item not as described,if it is friend and family,then it is considered a gift.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@DPCreations wrote:

her daughter could be under 18 and so she is using mom's paypal account,

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Whac-A-Mole

I agree with of your assumptions.  I was just hoping the mom would explain it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.