Seller Scam???????

Elyshoeman

Found a tech item we have been shopping for on a very nice looking web site. (Pretecdealer.com) It's a very good deal and all seems fine until it asks me to pay via pay pal by going to my own account and sending $ directly to ------- account with a order #.  No link to click.  Site has one whole page explaining why I am protected by Paypal's buyers protection.... but I don't think that works when you send $ directly to an account???  Scam???

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Snow-Cat
Advisor
Advisor

Looks like the company uses PayPal Express Checkout - when using this product, it will take you directly to your PayPal Account to pay or if you don't have an account, you're given the opportunity to create one - there's is no option to pay as guest with just a credit card.   Express Checkout gives the buyer a simplified checkout experience and lets the buyer use their PayPal balance, bank account, or credit card to pay without sharing or entering any sensitive information on the seller's site.    (Note: cannot speak for the integrity of the company, only you can decide that.)

Login to Me Too

TiffanyKeyblade
Contributor
Contributor

I have just purchased an item from this company and so far it's hard to get in contact with them. When I tried contacting them multiple times it states that my message cannot be processed at this time. I will assume it's because they only contact customers on business days I guess.. Anyways I will let you know if they are reliable or not. So far they don't seem very reliable in my opinion since, they don't even have a phone number or email on their website for you to contact them with. I will be optimistic and hope they will contact me on Monday during their business hours.

Login to Me Too

schonlong4
New Community Member

They have some outrageously low prices so I am skeptical and awaiting your message about this.

Login to Me Too

TiffanyKeyblade
Contributor
Contributor

After doing some more research on this company I believe it is a scam and I DO NOT believe anybody should be ordering from them. During their business hours I am unable to contact them, even after sending emails and messages through their website. When I searched up Pretec Dealer into Google's search engine a forum on Reddit popped up that explains even further how this website is NOT to be trusted. I will post the link at the end of my post. Anyways, I decided it was best to cancel my payment through Paypal and keep extra tabs on my account just in case. Also for some reason on the Pretec website they will not allow me to cancel my order so it still states that it is "On Hold." After checking my Paypal account it states that the email the website directed me to send my money to is not even registered to a Paypal account, which, is a big RED  FLAG!

Here is the link to the Reddit post that goes more in dept on this subject (Scroll up when you click the link to see the full post) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/81tkx6/pretec_dealer_pretty_scam_looking/#bottom-comments

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.