Seller Protection??

Hvytoys
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone has ever heard this term used without the people saying it dying of laughter, it would be a shocker.

There is no such thing..  You can call a sale "as is" and openly say that you don't know it works, and even have a buyer acknowledge this prior to a sale and they can still claim it is "not as described" and get their money back. 

There is nothing that protects sellers, and they get their money so not like they care, it's a open season on anyone selling online. 

And to be sure, there are a LOT of theives taking advantage of this failure of the internet...  more and more every day. 

So be prepared to be ripped off by both the customer and the vendor who has the site.  Be it amazon, ebay, whoever. 

Us, the sellers, are the ones who make them their money, but they don't give us a iota of anything.  They just take. 

Good times, and good luck.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hvytoys

Seller protection covers you for

1. Items that a buyer claims is not received..........as long as you have trackable proof of delivery.

2. Unauthorised or chargebacks...............as long as you meet the criteria of seller protection.

It does not cover you for SNAD items, in the case of a SNAD item it is one persons word against anothers so paypal ''tend'' to find for the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you first trackable before you have to refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Never sell anything you can't afford to lose and use PayPal.

There is no such policy with PayPal as "no returns" so even if you are selling faulty item you can't expect to ship it and forget about it. Buyers can receive the item, get the parts they need and then file the claim. If you sold it via eBay then it's free parts at your expense, that's how it goes unfortunately. Buyers can also "rent" items for up to 180 days and you will accept that.

Sell only low value items which scammers are not interested. With everything else, don't use PayPal unless you absolutely need to.

Login to Me Too

rforsyth1
Contributor
Contributor

SPOT ON!

I just posted and used that EXACT same subject matter. Though mine is a little different. Heck they dont even have to return some items as it would cost the seller more than the item is worth (shipping).

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

'AS IS' is an oxymoron term ,in cyberspace all you see is a picture and description,it is not like holding it in your hands and ask question or kick the tire to better understand what is exactly  AS IS.

If you are selling used items esp electronics or machine,better sell them under category for scraps and parts.

Then a buyer who is looking to take apart the item or fixer understands he is getting some thing which does not function.

but then there will always be bottomfeeders who are wishful thinkers ,looking for used items which do work,or hoping with some tinkering ,he could make it work.

DONT SELL ANYTHING YOU CANT AFFORD TO LOSE as  SNAD would make you pay return shipping on Ebay,or a buyer filing chargeback,you lose lose the item,the money and a $20 chargeback fee. 

Login to Me Too

rforsyth1
Contributor
Contributor

The transaction ID does not have a link to it, as mentioned even they could not find what is was going to.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

look into your sales ledger ,and find the item which matches the $$ amount,date and venue.

I keep a sales ledger by date,venue,item description,$$ sold,shipping $$ collected,COGS,postage paid ,destination country if outside USA,insurance premium and coverage if any,FVF,Paypal fee if I care to know .

Dont tell me you dont have one,God helps you if you are ever audited by IRS.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal is just a payment processor,EBay is just a venue to help you sell,you need to look into your own record keeping to find the item and what is the item?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.