Scams and getting your money back

Manolo71
Contributor
Contributor
I had sent money as friends and family for an item I was buying and the seller never send it I call paypal and I told that thas how I was asked to send the payment the agent rapidly say " IT SOUND LIKE A SCAM " there is nothing we can do I TOLD HER DID YOU UNDERSTAN WHAT YOU JUST SAID ? If paypal knows that there is a scam going on with a paypal account holder and paypal can not give you a refund not even hold or investigate the account doing the scam IT SHOWS CLEARLY THAT THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO MAKE MONEY STEALING FROM PEOPLE AND PAYPAL IS HELPING GOOD JOB PAYPAL
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Manolo71

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. So yes it was a scam and nothing paypal can do for you. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Manolo71
Contributor
Contributor
Hi This is a fact according to what I had dealing for the past 3months + It is very difficult to have the paypal protection when money is send as friend and family this is something that most of the people with a paypal account are going to go thru at least 1 time because in the hope to trust somebody who asked to send the payment as friend or family for some item we want to get, we dont see the scam behind these are people who take the money from many people one time only but imagine how many people can you tell to send you the payment for the item they want to buy as friend or family? I know that paypal can to give you the protection as a buyer but they should hold the account of people scamming investigate the claims and if they find more than 1 person complaining about the account doing fraud paypal should close the account and report it to the appropiated authorities. My point is if Paypal could not give me the protection Stated in their policies for a purchase done on ebay where payment cant be done as friend or family and the item was never received the seller kept my payment and the money for the lost package claim sent thru ups who can we expect there will be to help ?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.