Scammed on eBay - Another fake tracking number used to scam me

Outcome
Contributor
Contributor

1. Purchased item on eBay
2. Item was an iRobot Roomba vacuum. Item was used. Shipping from Germany to Kentucky.
3. Paid via my Paypal.com Credit account.
4. Emailed seller as he updated the amount of time it would take for the package to get to my house to over a month out in October (had previously been much sooner). Items over 30 days out from the time they are purchased are no longer eligible for reimbursement from eBay (their anti-scam policy).
5. Seller never responded regarding this issue, but did finally provide a tracking number to eBay and Paypal, which ended up having an estimated delivery of September 10th.
6. Noticed that the tracking number stated it was being shipped via USPS "First-Class Package International Service Small Packet", instead of Priority International Box (which is for larger boxes like robot vacuums).
7. Another package was delivered to me that morning from Amazon at 9:26 AM. My mail carrier only had that one package from Amazon, and not my Roomba, yet the Roomba tracking number said it was out for delivery.
8. The eBay tracking number finally updated at 10:26 AM and stated that it was "Delivered, In/At Mailbox", which is suspect, because a Roomba would definitely not fit in my tiny mailbox.
9. Went to the local Post Office. The post master stated that USPS takes pictures of international packages and that the package with the eBay tracking number I have did not have my name nor my address written on it.
10. I was also told by the post master that I was correct and that the package shipped was a small envelope, not a large Roomba-sized box.
11. I was not told who was on the package, but was given the address of someone else (not my address that Paypal has verified).
12. I have not been contacted by the postal service about whether the person at the other address returned the package.
13. It was not a Roomba vacuum that the seller shipped. It was something small.
14. The seller's Paypal address is not in Germany where the package originated. Per Paypal, it is instead in Los Angeles, California.

Paypal keeps denying my claim saying "Tough. The seller says he shipped it. It shows it shipped and was delivered."

I've seen this has happened to other people in this forum, and it is with Paypal credit and no one gets it resolved.  They always side with the scammers.

What do I do?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Both Ebay and Paypal has 180 days to file dispute.

If you lose on Ebay,you can file with Paypal,or go to the c c issuer to file a chargeback.

Not familiar with Paypal credit,is that a credit line from Paypal,did you try to contact them?

This is a common scam,send out some light package using first class mail   with tracking ,you can try appealing on Ebay,as many disputes are handled by robot,robot just read the tracking status .

Call Ebay and tell them it is too heavy for first class mail and show them what you have from post office,you should win the case,you arenot the first,Ebay has seen them all.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I j ust reread what you wrote,you lost the dispute with Paypal.

Did you file with Ebay first?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

All PayPal really has to go on is the word of the buyer and word of the seller.  PayPal can't physically observe either what the seller sends nor what the buyer receives.  These are the risks of person to person buying and selling on the internet.  The sale is only as good as the reputation of the seller and the honesty of the buyer.  PayPal can't evaluate those parameters.

When submitting documentation to PayPal it should be thorough, price, and contain enough evidence to show it is accurate and truthful.  Presentation matters.  For the buyer the dispute evidence must be submitted in a compelling manner and it must be better than that submitted by the seller.

Login to Me Too

Adie88
Contributor
Contributor

Reading this just makes me so furious!! As you know I'm in the same boat and it is beyond frustrating. Try calling paypal and submit more evidence (pics of parcel vs what your vacuum should be size wise, weight of parcel vs weight of vacuum etc... ANYTHING!) Keep fighting! 

Login to Me Too

Outcome
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, I filed with eBay immediately. But PayPal said I should file with them too. They didn't tell me though that they would cancel out my item not received claim with eBay, which i can no longer open.

Update today: USPS postmaster provided me with an affidavit stating that it was not delivered to me and that it was a tiny envelope and not a roomba. Hoping this takes care of it.

However, so far, the payment method I used, PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later), is STILL not budging.  I really think that no one is looking at the evidence.

Login to Me Too

Adie88
Contributor
Contributor

Hope everything goes well. From my side it's good news - the appeal was granted and they ruled in my favour. Don't know what happened to my post it seems to have been deleted somehow. 

Login to Me Too

Athenaa21
Contributor
Contributor
This is still happening!!! I had same issue!! Bought an expensive DJ turntable, seller stated Los Angeles, CA, instead, it came from Germany, went to a different street address, but in my same city. Seller provided tracking, but would not verify the street address. Seller contact info was fictitious, and fake. # disconnected or so the voicemail stated, and email unresponsive. Even wrote letters in my neighborhood pleading.. so bad... my daughter 11, in tears. I was out of work and saved to buy that darn thing. My situation reads text book like yours. Small package, no weight. Same thing, obviously turn table would be large box. Got letter from post master who was rude and mean and told me it isnt his fault I obviously got scammed and to get over it, even mocked me, it was bad. Filed 2 complaints with US postal Inspector.. still waiting on outcome. What is,weird is.. the only thing delivered this day was ALSO AN AMAZON package, to the same house identified on tracking, but not my address. Also seller left off my first name as well. I got my refund though, through blood sweat and tears... seller NEVER IDENTIFIED they were in Germany. They stated US... unreal!!!!! Buyers beware of this scam!!!!!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if Ebay,reports him

Login to Me Too

Mattdrc
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me too.. seller Info says he’s located in Los Angeles California. But my tracking says the item is shipping from Germany. I already know I got scammed.. so frustrating. This is the most I’ve ever spent on anything online. The eBay “estimated delivery date” is in three days and that’s when I’ll be able to file a dispute. I’m very nervous. Hopefully I can get my money back. And hopefully I don’t have to beg and plead like crazy. Any suggestions on where to start?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.