Scammed by charge back and charged a fee?!

Mhall264
Contributor
Contributor
I did alot of computer and electronic consultation and repair work for a guy and we used PayPal for payments. He made several payments with no issues. I did a big job for him and he made a partial payment of around $320. After about two months of not receiving the rest he tells me he's having financial issues. The other day i see he opened a dispute and suddenly 320 is missing from my account. He claims it was unauthorized payment. I asked him about it via text and he admits he intended the payment and that this is the credit card company's fault. Don't know what to make of that but i explained situation to PayPal and next day i get an email stating there is a charge back processing for reasons: other, and i will be debited an additional $20. Why am i responsible for fee?! I didn't choose to do charge back. What can i do about being scammed like this? I have chat logs and invoices showing i am in the right here. Any advice is much appreciated.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

He is filing unauthorised transaction with his cc issuer saying it aint him making the charge.

the $20 comes from his cc issuer for the time they spent on the case.

Now,Paypal has a way of finding if it is unauthorised,if you browse this forum,they even said they have trails if you want to see it,but in your case,it is not Paypal,it is his cc issuer who decides the case.

This is the disadvantage of using Paypal instead of having your own merchant account to accept credit card,your merchant account provider will fight for you,submitting your evidence and relayback to you what he said and what his cc issuer,but not Paypal.

try calling Paypal and tell them you want to appeal and you have proof you want Paypal to submit to his cc issuer.

and ask Paypal if they have trails that he is the one who made payment and submit that too.

Paypal is not a good payment method for services rendered.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal does offer seller protection for services rendered on a case by case basis based on documents submitted by both parties,but your case is not open on Paypal,it is his credit card issuer.

If you think there is no other person he can turn to for work to be done,insist on money order or postal order,offer a small discount for fee and postage,money order can be bought in supermarket for a song,we all go to supermarket,does he eat?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.