Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,005 REPLIES 1,005

Liban
Contributor
Contributor
There was a link to dispute it but that is all. I clicked it on it but once I saw that it wanted me to put my address and card information in again I clicked off
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Liban

There was a link to dispute it but that is all

What do you mean by all? Thats all scammers need, if you had clicked on it and entered your card info then you would have let them have use of that card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Liban
Contributor
Contributor
I think there was some miscommunication on my part let me explain again. Once I had clicked the link the was a form in which I had to put my card information and address in, but I did not do this I soon closed that window and left that matter alone. Fearing it was a scam I went to my PayPal and changed me password.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Liban

Thats fine then.

As long as you did not imput your card details then you are fine.

No need to change your password although never a bad thing.

NEVER click on links in emails ''supposedly'' from paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Liban
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I should have looked before I did it. Decided to change my password and security questions just in case. Thanks so much!
Login to Me Too

Astraea13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi...

So if I check my legitimate PayPal account and there is nothing pending, I'm o.k., yes?  I know that there is a lag time sometimes between when a payment is authorized and when it's processed.  If one were pending, that'd show in my 'Activity'?

[Apparently I sent $111.99 to Facebook.  Something about Parents for Education. Only if I was sleep-posting!]

Thanks,

R.

Login to Me Too

Liban
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You may want to check your bank account just to be safe. As long as you did not click any links from the email you were sent or if you didn't give any information i.e password, address, card number then your safe and good to go

Login to Me Too

Astraea13
Contributor
Contributor

Will do. 

Nope - didn't click a thing.  Never do.

Thanks so much!

R.

Login to Me Too

dreamangelcore
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, nice try scammer:

Your Account Will Be Closed !

Hello, Dear Customer

Your Account Will Be Closed , Until We Here From You . To Update Your Information . Simply click on the web address below

What do I need to do?

(Removed Link)

To those thinking about it,

DON'T CLICK THE LINK!

The next clue? The email was from me to me, smh

This is a scam, log into PayPal via your normal login (go to another web page, preferably private browsing) and check your account. and check notifications. Nothing there?

The email is a scam.

Login to Me Too

sara_k21
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I just received an email titled ''PayPal Payment''. It says that I sent 24.35 CAD to Paul Desbois, which I didn't. Is this just a scam? It doesn't seem to actually be from PayPal, but I just want to make sure no one has access to my account?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.